Senegal Bichir

herpetology!

Hey! I have a 29 gallon tank with an adult and a sub adult brichardi cichlid. I just got a free baby senegal bichir which is about as long as the adult brichardi. I am wondering the best way to make the senegal bichir feel at home. It isn't being harassed much by the cichlids, it's just scared like a little baby. There are 4 caves and lots of visual barriers on the ground, but this bichir seems to prefer hanging out up top. He isn't clamping fins and ate some pellet food today. I know that senegals use the whole water column at times, so I'm curious what I should be looking for as far as hangouts when its settled.

Thanks!

They are an awesome fish, and one of the more active of the bichirs. When I kept poly's my senegals rarely stopped swimming, but did enjoy the overhang of a piece of driftwood or rock ledge under which to chill. They also appreciate a rock / object that they can hide behind to escape your view.

Be wary of resin logs which have holes to allow the escape of air. My female senegal got spooked one day and darted inside, got stuck and needed an emergency hack saw rescue.

Their tank mates (delhezi, lapradei, ornate) also appreciated a bit of cover, though once they grew too large just hung out in the open, stacked on top of each other.

O

Yeah I've noticed this bichir hangs out on the top of the water surface a lot. He seems to enjoy hanging out in the water hyacinth at the top. I didn't realize they were one of the more active ones, that is awesome! How do you gender them??

Edited by herpetology!

Difference between the sexes can be seen in the anal fin. For males, the base of the fin is thicker and fleshier; used to cup the eggs as the are laid by the female. The base of the female anal fin is thinner, as is the fin itself.

My senegal pair was easy to distinguish based on body size as well. While they were a similar length, the female was much broader and more plump. The male was fairly thin.

imgres

O

Edited by ocellatus