Lazy Betta

FishieRuffio

Hi guys - I was wondering if I could get advice on something. I've got a male betta and a black phantom tetra (they get along fine) in a 5 gal lightly planted tank.

Fairly recently, my betta has taken a liking to lying on his side all day long. He just kind of flops over and lies down on his side (more than once I've panicked when I've come home, thinking that he's dead). His breathing is normal, and he surfaces when it's time to eat, but he never stays at the top for very long - just eats his food and sinks back to the bottom. Even though his health seems to be fine, I'm worried that this might be problem - anyone ever have a similar experience?

And while I'm posting questions, my *other* betta has recently turned into a fighter - he won't stop attacking his reflection in the glass of his tank! Should I get him a background? Is it unhealthy for him to always be in "attack" mode? They're such a stark contrast!

TIA for any advice you might have!

• 2 weeks later...