Fish Id

ubr0ke

oh yeah totally a central american convict cichlid lol and a small one at that. Does anyone remember when these used to be a large cichlid? like 8" plus for males and hyper aggressive..... that is until they got over bred and inbred lol

The reason i said that is back in the 80's they were a fearsome large central american species but in the last few years they, due to spawning readily in aquaria they have somehow shrunk in size to where they will breed by 2-3" and rarely grow much beyond that size approx 4.5" is among the largest I've seen in the last few years. They even have lost their reputation somewhat of being quite aggressive and territorial.

Some of this has been attributed to accidental inbreeding by amatuer hobbyists like a tank full of guppies just given er' all year long. Quite often convicts were like having a bunch of farm kittens you just couldnt give them away due to being so prolific.

They were a nice looking fish whereby males would get some blue in the dorsal fin and females would get nice orange or red bellies when they came into season and were quite impressive as a larger cichlid. I remember later in the 90's seeing convict/firemouth hybrids around in stores as well.

ahhh memories