Aquarium Weight In Apartment

butters

So I got a sweet deal on a 4 foot 150 gallon tank and I bought it faster than I thought it over.

I searched and read every thread I could find on here about tank weight. I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment building, and I'm a little iffy about this, but from all the research I've read I should be ok as long as I put the tank perpendicular to the floor joists (resting on 3 of them) and against a load bearing wall (the outside wall in my case).

So my question isn't wether I can do it, but is how many of you out there have large tanks like this in an apartment building or condo, and have you had any issues or tips, etc?

Thanks!

So I got a sweet deal on a 4 foot 150 gallon tank and I bought it faster than I thought it over.

I searched and read every thread I could find on here about tank weight. I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment building, and I'm a little iffy about this, but from all the research I've read I should be ok as long as I put the tank perpendicular to the floor joists (resting on 3 of them) and against a load bearing wall (the outside wall in my case).

So my question isn't wether I can do it, but is how many of you out there have large tanks like this in an apartment building or condo, and have you had any issues or tips, etc?

Thanks!

I had that exact demension tank and the glass was 3/4". Pretty heavy. One thing you will want to consider is if it is used, Check the seams. 150 gallons of water in your below neighbors apartment might cost you more than you think. Does it happen to have a custom cherry wood color stand.

Thanks!

I had that exact demension tank and the glass was 3/4". Pretty heavy. One thing you will want to consider is if it is used, Check the seams. 150 gallons of water in your below neighbors apartment might cost you more than you think. Does it happen to have a custom cherry wood color stand.

It is brand new from Petsmart. It is quite a heavy tank.

It is this one here... The stand kind of creeps me out actually, it's very light and not that bulky at all.. but they sold it as a set so it must hold haha.

pPETS-11587572dt.jpg

I would advise checking the stand to see if it is particle board (compressed sawdust). They are quite common and, in my thoughts, are a ticking timebomb. Water and sawdust stands do not mix well... My 55g taught me that, a slight drip from a filter over several days can make a stand crumble.

All tanks in my house over 20g have a solid wood stand, or sit on a solid wood dresser. All tanks over 55g are on metal/steel stands (with a stand-alone wooden cabinet cover to hide it, of course ;) ).

No experience with condos, but my 90g stands just fine on our raised sub-floor against a load bearing wall.

Thanks!

It is brand new from Petsmart. It is quite a heavy tank.

It is this one here... The stand kind of creeps me out actually, it's very light and not that bulky at all.. but they sold it as a set so it must hold haha.

pPETS-11587572dt.jpg

I guess i would just make suer you are allowed to have it in there. The largest i have had is a 55 gallon on my forth floor apt. Now i have a 300 gallon....on concrete. Good Luck

I would advise checking the stand to see if it is particle board (compressed sawdust). They are quite common and, in my thoughts, are a ticking timebomb. Water and sawdust stands do not mix well... My 55g taught me that, a slight drip from a filter over several days can make a stand crumble.

All tanks in my house over 20g have a solid wood stand, or sit on a solid wood dresser. All tanks over 55g are on metal/steel stands (with a stand-alone wooden cabinet cover to hide it, of course ;) ).

No experience with condos, but my 90g stands just fine on our raised sub-floor against a load bearing wall.

I think it is particle board. Would you suggest getting a whole new stand or is there anyway I can reinforce this one to have some peace of mind?

Double check your insurance just in case. Would suck to be liable for repairs. Better safe than sorry. If your insurance covers it more than likely you will never have a problem. If you have no coverage, the damned tank will leak. Lol.