Feeding Advice

plaidcat

I have posted a few times about my snail problem, which I think I have finally gotten under control with some new loaches I have purchased. But I was given some advice which I am not sure about. I mentioned to the sales person how my 2 loaches just were not eating the snails just the fish flakes I give my fish. She said to only feed the fish every 2 - 3 days, that way the loaches will be hungrey and eat the snails. I was told when I set up my tank a few years ago to feed the fish once a day, which I do, not too much. But I am confused - I do not want to underfeed the rest of the fish in my tank while my loaches are feeding on the snails. So how often should I feed the fish ? I have 3 loches, 2 shrimps, 4 Rasboros, various Danos, Tetras, (12-14 ...). Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Also looking to add to my tank, love my fish but seem to have alot of dull colored fish ( grey's and blacks) any suggestions for some nice colored community fish.? I buy lemon or blue tetra's but they seem to lose their color after a few weeks. Are my fish stressed.?

thanks .

Linda

if your tank is well established (been running a while) there will be enough growth on your plants rocks etc for the fish to pick at. they will not starve in a day or two. just watch them, they will start being more aggresive then usual, this is a sign that they are hungry. when you do feed, feed a very small amount at a time. to the point where its gone as soon as it touches water. you can then give another tiny portion etc. snails are really hard to get rid of naturally.... i prefer using chems to get rid of them as you, your loaches, etc will never ever find them all.

Thanks cullymoto, I do not have plants ( had a pleco that used to tear up my tank, so plants just did not fair well ). what I have been doing the past few days is giving them flakes first thing in the morning, but not much. I found if I fed them every 2 days, they would fight at the feeding ring to get the food, so I knew this just did not seem right. So far with the loaches, the snails are less but my neighbour has a loach who I think I will still be able to give feeder snails to. Thanks for the advice. :D

curious what loaches you have ? it should be natural for clown loaches and zebra loaches to forage for snails. several types of botia will also eat lots of snails. most loaches are more active at night so they may do most of their snail hunting then. In my opinion you shouldnt have to not feed them to get them to eat snails. I think you may have to be a bit patient depending on how many snails are infesting the tank. 2 loaches depending on what kind may need a lot of time to make a dent on the population or you may consider increasing the number of specimens you have.Clowns and Zebras as well as Red Tail Botias do best in groups of at least 5 or more. i've had a few infestations cleared up by these guys even if they ate fish food everyday but it takes time.

or the least appealing choice is to use chemicals as cullymoto suggested. either way good luck but I'm always leary of pet store advice, many mean well but don't really have much practical knowledge depending where you go. This site has plenty of people well versed in aquarium skills that can be of help anytime

keep on posting :thumbs:

cheers

Thank you Fishnerd. I had 1 Clown Loach, but MANY snails, so poor thing just could not keep up with the snails. I now have added more loaches, so I have 5 now . 1 Clown, 2 YoYo loaches ( they go by another name) and 2 Burmese (?) . The yoyo's and burmese are young and small but dig like crazy. I think the snails are decreasing or they have gone under the rocks for safety. But regardless I am not even seeing empty shells. Do the loaches crush them down?

Sorry if I ask silly questions, but you are correct, the store employees are not as knowledgable as people on here. I love this site, I am a beginner so I am learning as I go.

Thanks for all the advice. :bow:

That's great you've gotten some more and that they are digging around, a good sign for sure as snails will retreat under the gravel for apparent safety. How long have you had them and how long have you had your horde of snails? As you can tell I'm a snail hater from way back some people love them to stir up the gravel but I view them as out of control pests. I've even let loose some loaches and assasin snails into my sumps to clear them out of there too. As for no empty shells hmmm you should see them around unless the gravel is being stirred up and they get buried. i don't believe loaches ingest or crush the shells all they want is the soft centre of those tasty lil' tootsie pops.... :tongue:

and of course the only silly question is the one never asked

I noticed you mentioned your fish seem to lose colour, a few things may cause this such as where is the tank situated; is there high traffic and bright sun on the tank, is your gravel really light coloured is there any protective cover by way of driftwood or fake plants. With some fish a bare tank and bright light will cause them to "wash" out. A natural setting relaxes them and allows their colours to show. A dark or black background can help as well. As for fish to suggest i think the ones you have are colourful enough you may want ot consider some cardinal tetras or bleeding heart tetras or even a few guppies to add some more colour depending on your tank size. But double check you set up to see if it needs tweaking, fish keeping is easy once you get the right mix of decorations and fish.

Edited by Fishnerd

I have had my tank for about 8 years, started out with just a 10 gallon given to my daughter as a feebie. ( tank is now mine, daughter has lost interest in it) And we stocked it with neon tetras ( love them) and gold skirt tetras and black skirt tetras. Then I got some algea and the girl at Petcetra recommended a Pleco. Sure, I think, he is cute, sucks algea up. Did not read the sign as to how freaking big they get.........!! Soon "Sucker" out grew the 10 gallon tank and I upgraded to a 30 gallon. Last year I came on this site and found a new home for Sucker who was now 11 inches long and scaring the hell out of my other fish. I have been told he is happy now and living in a 150 gallon tank with a few other Pleco's. Loved my Pleco but just could not upgrade to a bigger tank. So now I am doing a fish upgrade on my tank and plan to get plants. My snail came when I bought a Blue Tetra from Pet Paradise in St. Albert. Did not notice any in their tank when I bought the fish, but it was in the bag when I took him out. No problem I thought, 1 snail who will grow big is ok. Who knew what these snails could do.? Orgy in a shell !!!!!!. Soon there was 2....4....20......100. I totally cleaned out my tank, drained water, scrubed..Thought they were gone until last year when they had came back, must have missed a snail. I have heard of chemicals to kill snails, but I am afraid they will hurt my fish. The gold skirt and black skirt tetra's I have are the original fish I started with 8 years ago. !!.

Now that Pleco is gone, I want to get some plants. I want real plants since fake ones just look....fake. I have rocks ( blue & red) on the bottom of my tank - good snail hiding area, which I am sure is where all the empty shells are. Will live plants do ok with a rock surface on the bottom of the tank.?? My weekend project is to clean the tank so I will more than likely go out to the store near The Mayfield Hotel and do some looking around in a few weeks. I have never been there before so I want to check it out. .I have added Cardinal Tetra's, Neon Tetra's, Pink Dano's, Rasboro's, a few shrimp and a Rubber Lip Pleco who lives in a plastic log I have. I have been assured this pleco will not grow very big. !! And the tank is in a semi-shaded area of the livingroom since the sunny area just encouraged algea growth.

One way to get rid of snails is to methodically pick up the adults and adolescents. Better to do it in the evening after the lights are off for half an hour. Do not try to pick all of them at once - you will miss a few anyways. The key is to pick the larger ones, but to do it every second or third day. As long as you do not let them grow until they lay new eggs, you are good and in two - three weeks you will get rid of all of them.

Make sure you do not introduce plants with eggs.

Thanks Znaika, I do pick the snails out, but I serioulsy think I must have 100's, most very small and under the rocks, well hidden. I do get the bigger ones, but have been taking a big spoon and mixing up the rocks so the loaches can find the smaller ones easier and eat them.

I do not plan to put in plants until the snails are gone. I am not too knowledgeable on plants and even if they can live in rocks.?

I have those annoying Trumpet Snails. Look cute, but they are an orgy in a shell. !!!! Once I get the snails under control, I will look at getting plants. I think it will make my fish happy.