Aquaponics System

Ron

Thanks guys.

Very cool Ron.

Have you decided on what will be in the stock tank yet?

Also what kind of lighting are you going to use on the plants up top?

Last question,what are you going to grow up top?

Keep the pictures coming

For now it'll be my Sterlets and my Imperial Flower Loaches I have coming. Once my outdoor pond is done, I'll probably move them outside and stock my system with Marbled crayfish.

Dunno about lighting, any suggestions?

Lastly, none of your business......LOL. Probably just some herbs, lettuce, tomatoes and maybe some strawberries.

Ron

Edited by Ron

Nice,I have no experience with marbled crays

Do you think they will be enough of a bio load to keep the plants happy?

I found sunblaster t5 fixtures are affordable and work well,then for a extra boost I mix in a little led light as well.

I have found the LEDs are not necessary but add a little extra oomph

If you have a larger budget I would suggest a 250-400w metal halide(but you would need to instal cooling fans most likely)

if you want some goji berry seeds or a Passion flower vine Ill give you some seeds

Marbled crayfish are great; they clone themselves so you only need one, they eat everything so any vegetation from the grow bed will go into the tank for the crays to munch on. With the amount they eat, they have to produce alot of waste. I was looking at some shrimp farming stuff and they use PVC frames with layers or plastic bird netting to increase the area the shrimp can live. I am going to make a version of it, I could probably keep 1000 crays in my stock tank using it.

I was at the grow shop today and a 4' sunblaster with the reflector is $40 so I would probably start with 4 and could expand to 7 of them if I found the light insufficient. Not keen on heating up the room with MH, I need to keep it cool for the shrimp.

I am still quite a while away from planting but thank you for the offer of seeds. Next time I am on my way to Edson I may stop in and take you up on it.

Ron