Corys With Ich I Think!

bella

I am housing corys in a 20G tank. While watching I had observed what I considered to be the ich dance in probably just the bronze cory. I added some epsom salts and brought the temp up to about 78F. After a few days the dance continued. Last evening I added pimafix.

Would like some advice from any cory people.

Thanks

I have noticed lately since I have been replacing some of my corys which have passed due to old age and I maintain my Cory kinds in 3's that any of the aenus seem to come with some special friends know as skin flukes, mine seem to appear as lil white worms near their tails or just before their dorsal fins, salt the heck out of the tank and up your WC to 2-3x a week seems to kill them but have to continue to do the salt and water for at least 2 weeks after the worms disappear, works for me and no chemicals

Thanks so much for your input. I really like to use salt and warming up the tank. I am not sure of the volume of salt that is required per gallon of water. When the fish are quite listless I start to worry and want to use chemicals. Is it necessary to use a half dose of clout and if so why don't they mention it on the box?

I have not lost any corys yet. I am giving pimafix a chance but, I do have some clout on hand.

No I don't actually see white dots. I think that when fish have ich they have a characteristic movement. I have used rock salt in the past but I think that I forgot about using it for digestive problems. I am sure that I did. I guess I thought that they were interchangeable or I just forgot.

The noticeable "dance" and one cory with,(for lack of a different term)a collapsed tail fin are the only symptoms I have noticed. Today I have not noticed any bouncing off of things irratic "dance". Just a little listlessness.

I have noticed lately since I have been replacing some of my corys which have passed due to old age and I maintain my Cory kinds in 3's that any of the aenus seem to come with some special friends know as skin flukes, mine seem to appear as lil white worms near their tails or just before their dorsal fins, salt the heck out of the tank and up your WC to 2-3x a week seems to kill them but have to continue to do the salt and water for at least 2 weeks after the worms disappear, works for me and no chemicals

I really do not see anything on the corys. I would like to use a salt solution for the water but I am not sure how much per gallon.

I have in this tank 3 albino corys which have done nothing through all this treatment but buzz around the tank in no distress what so ever. I also have 3 peruvian type of corys that have not been affected that I can tell. The only corys that have shown a restless ich "dance" type behaviour are the bronze corys. This behaviour is not frequent but I still notice it very occasionally. I have not noticed anything on these fish. No spots or worms.

I am new to corys and not familiar with their diseases. I have had clown loaches and had difficulty at times with ich. I know that by the time clown loaches have spots they are usually hard to save. I have never had a fish with flukes.

Thanks for your input

My money is on flukes. Clout time.

I still see no spots or worms anywhere on their body. The albino and peruvian do not seem to be affected at all. IT seems to be just the bronze corys. Even their "dance" does not seem very frequent. I will finish the pimafix treatment. Whatever they have they are still eating and breathing normally.

Thanks for you input

Sorry I wasnt clear about the flukes, but basically by the worms will show after they are fully established and well on their way to to trying to kill the fish, flukes arent really visible till then, do you notice any excessive slime/ mucus coating on the corys? Most petstore fish tend to carry some sort of external parasite and usually can deal with them easily but depending on their tank conditions immune system etc, they sometimes need a bit of help, try adding around 1/2 cup of salt every 6 hours over a 48 hour period making sure you have alot of aeration, jack the heat a bit, and really watch these guys as corys are not heat fans, if they start having issues do a large water change, otherwise give them a day with all the salt, then do a 40% water change, wait a week and repeat to make sure you get any that could have been in egg form, if that doesnt work your going to have to go the chemical route, but thats my suggestion