Co2 Supplementation - The Old Fashioned Way

jewels

Most aquatic gardeners are aware of the benefits that come with CO2 supplementation; and most of us would associate this addition with immersed aquarium plants.

I see many folks trying their hand at dry starts and emergent rip/vivariums, very rarely do I see them mention CO2. I often see tanks that are wrapped up air tight with saran. I think this may be a poor practice.

Ambient CO2 outdoors is around 340 ppm. Indoors ( the average home) sits a little higher about 450-525 ppm.

When plants wake up in the morning they have breakfast right away - it is a main course of CO2.

If tightly sealed under saran, plants can diminish the concentration of CO2 in the aquarium rapidly, potentially within an hour - and when its gone (<200ppm) they stop. They cannot grow without CO2 ; and now there is none available.

How can this be avoided?

• Add CO2

What is the most convient source of CO2 in my home ?

• I am .

From what I have read there is no benefit @ levels above 1500 ppm and CO2 toxicityhappensabove 10'000 ppm. So, how to get the correct amount ?

My first test was with a empty 5 gallon pail. I put the pail on the floor and put the meter http://www.co2meter....tor-data-logger

in the bottom of the bucket. Using a hose, I let loose a deep double lunger exhale into the the pail and watched as the meter began to climb. It finally peaked @ 5870 ppm. Not high enough to be detremental; although more than necassary.

Conclusion

Unless your tank is above 30 gallons, one good breath of air should provide you with all the CO2 your plants need.

Stay planty Alberta

i wrap dry start aquariums with plastic to keep high humidity and has nothing 2 do with co2. From what I've heard from others who have done dry starts they also cover the top but not for co2 but to keep humidity. Not as many people talk about co2 with dry starts because there is lots easily available in the air while underwater is the issue...many choose to ignore this facet with dry starts. To give it more than ambient sing to them.