Breeding Pink Longfin Zebra Danios

kristarockstar

I got a group of lovely longfin pink danios (aka red or ghost) from Aquarium Central in Edmonton (so jealous they had lots of fish I haven't see in calgary and were reasonably priced, also the tank section in Big Als is twice the size of calgary's!)

Can't get a picture but they look like this

http://www.tropicalifish.com/fish/danio-minnow/

He picked me out 5 female and 3 males (mostly long fins, but a couple regular) including two very fat ones full of eggs.

I have never bred egg layers so I did some googling and my first two attempts were a no go. But am trying again tonight with some changes.

I have a 10 gallon with an established filter, heater and half full of clean water. Large gravel/small rocks on the bottom. few chunks of java moss. Also a water pump to create a bit of current. Temperature is about 24 degrees.

I have kept the males and females separate and have been feeding them several times a day, mostly a frozen brines shrimp/mix, and a bit of flake food.

I put the two super fat females in the 10 gal this afternoon, this evening in the dark I added the three males. I have it in a south facing room with the curtains pulled back and have set the timer to turn the lights on around 6am.

I hope it works this time!

If not, any specific changes I could make for next time? The only thing I would really not like to do is live food.

You are on the right path. Couple of improvements, if it does not work:

- Keep males and females separate for at least couple of weeks, better 3 or four weeks. Feed them well (seemingly you did)

- Condition the females right in the future breeder, so that you do not need to stress them by the move.

- Do not just use clean water. Use 50-70% of RO water. You can buy 5 gallons for about $3 in Walmart. Have a suitable bottle.

- Keep water level at 4-6 inches.

- Make water in the breeder 3°C/6°F warmer than in the tank(s) where you conditioned the fish.

Good luck!

Not to thread jack but does anyone know where the pink/fire/whatever danio came from?

Personally I find them a tad suspicious. Seems to me like they've been genetically modified to get that colour, like glofish but not necessarily by the same people.

These two females were huge when I bought them on Jan 21st. So thought after a week or two they would need to spawn.

I have done a lots of searching the web. I was worried danios could become egg bound, but couldn't find a definitive answer. There was a couple of threads about stripping a stuck female to get some eggs moving, but that makes me nervous. Maybe I will get some of that water and try to be more patient and leave them in the spawning tank a couple more days.

Everywhere on the interweb says Danios are easy spawners. Frustrated! Boo-URNS

I would do the bare tank with a mesh an inch from the bottom trick. That way you can see if an egg was laid. Possibly they ate them.

Depending. Where you got the danios from they could be full of worms not eggs. Lol.

I got them from aquarium central (see above) and all the other females and males seem fine.

I did try the mesh before but one of the females squiggled in between the mesh and the glass and got stuck, luckily I found her in time and I think she was fine. If they dont spawn in the next two mornings. I might split them up again and try setting up the mesh again...

The females are still huge so I am pretty sure they didn't spawn.

I don't think I've had any luck as the females look pretty full. I have set up a bare bottom tank and will try the mesh this time instead of the rocks (last time a female swiggled in between the mesh and the glass and got stuck but I found her in time)

Here are some changes that I will try this time:

Mesh on bottom instead of gravel so I can see eggs.

Condition the females in the breeding tank to help prevent stress from the move.

50% Water change the night I introduce the males (will distilled water work? i didn't see anything that said RO water, was it the culligan drinking water?)

Add driftwood to soften the water a bit

Turn up the heat a bit the night before

Moved the tank to right in front of a south facing window

So maybe a couple of weeks and try again.

RO water and distilled water are about the same, and yes, Culligan RO water sold in Walmarts and elsewhere will do. Just make sure it is not Culligan _mineral_ dirinking water, but RO water. If you are buying a sealed 5 gallon bottle, it says it in small font on a cap, I believe. Otherwise just fill your bottle up from the machine in Walmart - it sells RO water.