Random Cichlid Deaths?

KimW

Ok so I haven't posted in forever....

I have had a 120G Cichlid set-up for almost 2 years with no troubles. Water parameters are all good ( I know good is a random statement but can't remember my numbers exactly right now) I test with liquid kits. Running a Fluval FX5 filter.

The last month the only change to the tank is 2 things....I added some decorative rock pieces to go on the bottom of the tank, and my jet died. In the last 4 weeks I have lost 3 fish.

Two Brichardi's and 1 Mangano(sp?)

No one is showing signs of sickness, all are eating well, active and everything appears normal. Water changes are done about once every 2-3 weeks, and I do a 50% change each time, prime water etc etc etc.

I have observed the tank from a distance and aside from one semi-aggressive Ice Blue male the tank does not appear to be in upheaval with aggression.

I have three possibilities, as they do not seem to be showing any outward signs of sickness..... there was something on the rocks ??? ( cleaned/boiled prior to entry into the tank), my liquid tests have gone kaput? ( about 3-4 months old) or because the water is not getting the circulation it used to in the tank this has caused an issue??

Now i have seen a couple of damage spots on my baby brichardi's but this looks more like they have rubbed up against something in the tank than anything? No fuzz, or fluff like stuff, no spots, red marks etc... eating and swimming well.

Any Suggestions?

Brichardi's are still spawning, as well as the ice blues??

I am sooo confused right now. I love my babies and wanna figure this out before I lose anymore.

Current Tank Residents:

2 Yellow Labs

2 Taiwan Reef

2 Kadango

1 Sulpherhead

1 Large Pleco ( 6")

2 Mangaino (sp?)

8 Daffodil Brichardi Varying Sizes

3 Catfish (Can't remember exactly what they are, given to me)

1 Spotted Pleco

5 Ice Blue

1 Random Black & Red Fella have no idea what he is as he was given to me

1 Tretocephalus

Edited by KimW

The motor on the one jet/water pump not sure of the technical term for it ( low flow for minimal additional circulation, so i have no "dead" spots in the tank ) just gave up the ghost. Water parameters will get back to you, will do a test again today have 5 kids so have to make time for the tank when kiddies are sleepin

Ok so after the babies were put to bed I had a chance to test my water...again LOL and I recorded the parameters so i wouldn't forget,

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrates - 20ppm give or take (hard to tell the differences in color)

Ph - 8.2

KH - 8

So everything seems fine. I am due to change my carbon out in my filter this week so I will be doing a 25% water change at the same time.

I dunno what the heck it could be.....maybe just age.... the fish lost i have had for quite some time, although I am not really sure of their lifespan.

Depending on the Brichardi and how many you have it could be aggression among males as they will breed on the tank pretty easy. do you see them pairing up at all or do you have one that seems more aggressive than the others?

Maybe your mangano got too close?

It is entirely possible. I had about 3 breeding pairs and about 26 of them until I donated them to a lfs. Down to 8 now including one breeding pair.

On another note last night while looking at the tank I noticed one of the mangano's eyes is slightly cloudy so I am going to do my wc today and swap out the carbon. He is the only fish that seems afflicted by anything, and as cloudy eyes is usually a sign of poor water condition, I am tossing my test kit and waiting expectantly for the new one to show. I am seriously wondering what the shelf life of the liquid kits is? As that is all I have ever used since childhood, with my father testing his tanks. Does anybody have a rough idea?

Oh and I also ordered a new jet just in case this was part of the problem as well. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just an update.....Mangano's eyes are already better! After a 50% W/C and a carbon change, all appears well. I really am hoping I do not lose anymore. I watched the tank from a distance for nearly an hour this afternoon post w/c and am not noticing any outward aggression from the Brichardi, however just to mix things up a bit I did a re-organizing of the tank so I am hoping in conjunction with the w/c that whatever established territories that anyone could have been fighting over have been re-set so to speak. My Ice blue definitely seems a lot mellower now LOL.