N-P-K Ratio Calculation

Milan

I'm just curious what is the math behind N-P-K ratio calculations. Here is an example:

There are three basic formulas: all are mixed in 500 ml bottles

ratio is N03 to P04 to K at .75 to.25 to 1.00

Kno3 using 20.38 grams

KH2Po4 @ 5.97 grams

K2S04 @ 15.74 grams

It probably has something to do with individual contents/ratios of NO3, PO4 and K in the mass of a particular chemical and the solution volume. Chemistry not being my world, I figured I better ask ...

Edited by Milan

Density is the key to the measurements. But powder and granual forms vary. We also want to use a common factor in the dosing. Thats where the 50/10 comes to play. 50 gallon tank 10 ml of ferts. It is easier to scale accordingly to the different tank sizes a person/s may run.

Garhan

Thanks Andy. The article is really useful. I think this is where my confusion comes from, ... not knowing the percentage of individual ion/element in the compound. According to this, KNO3 is comprised of 39%K and 61% NO3. It would be helpful to find out the same analysis for K2SO4 and KH2PO4, but the article doesn't show it. As Garhan mentioned earlier, Chuck's fert calculator may reveal these ratios.

All this came out of my pure curiosity, and I guess it is nothing critical to know. Who knows, some day I may learn chemistry ... <_<