Invasive Plants (List?)

Fisher

Hi Folks.

I picked up a few cabomba (sp.) stems from a very kind hobbyist several months ago (not from AA). I stuffed the plants in my tank. Within a few weeks, it was obvious I had two very different plants. One stem grew fast and dwarfed the rest, which was rewarding, But within a month it became a nuisance. The other stems just couldn't keep up, so I pulled it out and tossed it in the compost pile.

After looking at some web photos, and horsing around with a taxonomy browser, I identified the plant as Myriophyllum spicatum. Maybe you recognize its common name, Eurasian watermilfoil from those "Invasive Species Advisory" signs by boat launches and beside the highway.

It's not ordinary for me to flush a plant, certainly not a broad leaf. But with a wispy plant like cabomba (which would easliy pass through a sewer pipe like a turd) I couldn't say the thought wouldn't cross my mind. It's not a stretch to suggest this same unknowing, unintentionality lead to the impact of P. crispus in Canadian waters.

My point isn't to discourage plant sharing, rather, to raise awareness.

We don't have to be experts at plant taxonomy. But we can practice safe plant disposal :shifty: by using a garbage bag.

Happy Easter AA!

edit: spell check

Edited by Fisher