Under Substrate Remote Heater?

Dukeswild

Just curious if any one has had any exsperience in using a remote heater under the substrate. It would be for a shrimp setup with Ada soil.

Curious if Id would provide a stable temp and if it would have any adverse effects on an Ada substrate.

Something similiar to the via aqua remote heater would be ideal.

I use an under gravel heat system in the planted area of my tank. It is not remote controlled or anything fancy, just a wire and a wall ca unit. It provides nice, gentle even heat and I have never had any problems with it.

That's good. I've read and heard they make it nice for an even temp considering the warm air rises. And of coarse the benefits for a planted tank.

I just really like the idea of placing a heater into the substrate for a couple reasons. Mostly for being able to hide it out of view and secondly to help with water flow in the substrate.

My biggest concern would be placing in an active substrate and having the extra heat and flow break down the soil.

Not worth it IMHO, it you want it out of sight use an inline heater. If you are using it in ADA substrate tank you must have it in a pretty cool room. The only tanks I heat are in very cool areas, they would be ~66F if not heated.

Ya mostly the winter is my only concern. And yes we live in the bottom level of a building so our level is half under ground level.

Ideally an inline would be my preference but I'm sponge and hob filters so I'm not able to squeeze them in.

Just really a thought to clean things up alil bit

You are pretty lucky! Heating is much easier issue to tackle than cooling for a shrimp tank!

ADA does have their own under substrate heating product call the growth plate:
http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/na_substrate/growth_plate/

So it should be fine but like Ron said, unless you really have want the minimalist look, probably not worth the time or work (if it is an existing tank) to install one.

if in tank is your only option, I have a couple of Fluval M series heaters and found they blend in to the background quite well as they have a slightly mirrored finished and they are decent quality heater as well.

Hi jump

Ya I really like that style of fluval, really sharp looking. I'm using the ehiems and it's not that there bad looking. I have the back painted flat back and really any heater would stand out. Just looking for a cleaner look.

Those Ada plates are actually quite nice. I assume ou just place a tube style heater on the inside of it? Atleast that would solve the problem of just putting into the soil and not really having good dispersement.

And of coarse the warm weather is approaching and won't really need them

I don't use a heater on one of my CRS tanks but I do have an under substrate heater on a 35 gallon with fluval flora substrate. It's a simple length of flexible cable I think I got it at Big Al's Calgary and it works fine.