Potential Breeding?

Senroc

Just curious what the signs are of a successful breeding? I've never had any fish breed before so I'm not sure if what I'm seeing in my tank is that of a female with a brood on it's way or just a fish with a swollen jaw. It's noticeably different than what it looked like a few days ago, and certainly more pronounced than the other cichlids in the tank. Is it just one of those things or is there potential for a brood? If so how long do I have before I should go get myself a pen to keep her in until it's time?

If I do have something happening I'm kinda excited to see the eventual colouring since I have a blue jewel, red zebra, and an mbuna to go along with her. Could be an interesting mix :)

If she is holding you should be able to detect a bulge in her buccal cavity which will look like a swollen lower jaw. Watch her at feeding time because if she is holding she will not eat. If she is holding the eggs will hatch in about 2 weeks however is she does not find a safe place to spit the fry she will continue to hold the fry in her buccal cavity.

Please if she does have fry do not sell or give them to people without letting them know that they are hybrids.

I'll keep an eye on her tonight at feeding time and see what happens. I do have a smaller 10gal tank I haven't been using so I'm wondering if I should set that up with some hiding spots if it looks like she's up to something or just get a pen and hold her in that for the time being? And no I wouldn't let them go without people knowing what they're getting :) Besides they might be nice little additions to keep around when I upgrade to a larger tank later on.

If you set her up in a 10 gallon by herself she will be fine. Throw in some rocks for her and her fry to take refuge under.

Wait a few hours after lights out, and net her using a flashlight. More than likely she will not freak out and spit in the net. Then just wait for her to spit out the fry.....easy.