Should I Kill My Live Rock?

kindasleepy

Hi Guys,

Don't know if any of you will remember but I'm the one whose tank just up and croaked on me a few months back. This is an update and a question. The vast majority of my live rock has been in buckets of water with powerheads keeping it circulating. The main tank is now empty and cleaned, took all the live sand out and have new stuff ready and waiting. I'm getting conflicting advise on what to do with the live rock. Some people are saying that I should allow it to completely dry out, some people are saying I shouldn't use it at all, some people saying it'll be fine.

I've got my iso tank running and managed to save some of the coral. I also added a bit of my live rock to the iso tank quite a while ago and the tank appears to be healthy so I'm thinking that it may be all ok. My idea is to get it set up with the live rock but no sand or anything yet and wait and see what happens? I started getting worm activity and feather dusters on my live rock in the iso tank so obviously there were some survivors from the Reef -ocalypse.

There was a tiny bit of aiptasia but it died with the tank, haven't seen a trace of it since then. The concern is that I don't really know what killed the tank. The theory I'm running with is that either the Instant Ocean supplement or the Seachem Clarity did it, or a contaminant in the tap water. It wasn't mechanical failure, I hadn't added any life forms for a couple weeks prior to the "incident". All I did the night before was algae scrub and top up the water with water I had in a bucket (with a heater and powerhead) that I had already treated with Prime (a bit of an extra dose due to the crazy high ammonia at the time). Woke up next morning to Tank O' Death.

I had a similar experience in the end I did a viral/ bacterial cleanse on the the tank and purchased a uv sterilizer after about a week of that I started slowly adding inhabitants to the tank and life returned to my reef

It was a poopy and frustrating experience but it's the risk you take sometimes

• 2 months later...