Fluval Edge - Lighting Solution

New_from_Peru

Hi all,

Just thought I would show a couple pictures of my solution for lighting the full area of the Fluval Edge 6g.

My first thought was to upgrade the original light (which has been done) but that doesn't solve the problem of lighting the edges (ironic given the name of the tank). So here is my solution!

post-6131-0-45642000-1366725289_thumb.jpg

post-6131-0-23506800-1366725288_thumb.jpg

This light bar is bonded pieces of Aluminum acting as a heat sink for high power LEDs, the bar should be giving out between 750 - 850 lumens additonal light to where it is needed most in this type of tank. These are the highest power LEDs I could source to fit inside this type of heat sink, they are capped, bonded and soldered into the frame. I'll be monitoring the tanks temperatures closely as I have a good handle on what they are without the extra light bar.

On first impressions the whites of my CRS really pop out making them standout in lot of plant life. The edges of the tank are fully illuminated and I'll be keeping an eye on the plant growth!

If anyone is interested I am considering making a lower profile version (depending on the temps) so PM if you think you might like one, I bought all the tools and seems a shame only to build one with all the gear.

Hey,

I run with a little Excel which I drip in every three days, the Amazona is good for the basic nutrients and I am lucky because the office water supply is filtered of all the nasties and comes out at around 125 TDS which I buffer up to just below 200 with Fluval Shrimp Water Hardener.

The CRS in there appear really happy and are growing away.

I'll keep an eye on the plants (and algae) and I have a dimmer on the system which I can adjust the light to gain balance! Just want to see how it goes on super charge mode to start!

Plants are pearling for the first time in this tank using the new light!

Possible for a full glosso / HC carpet in the Fluval edge? Would be difficult to trim and keep neat but CRS / CBS climbing over the carpet would be cool =)

=)

I am currently waiting on a quote for the materials for a lower profile light, will keep all updated!

Newest project - Computer based 12v Chiller for my 16 gallon neo tank in the house. Calgary hit 18°C the other day and I had most of the windows open in the house to keep it at 23°C. By the time summer hits my shrimp with be making a broth - most expensive gumbo around!

Will post an update on it.