Sick Rainbowfish

blink

I've come home to a bit of a mystery, one of my MacCulloch's rainbows is ill.

It's coloration is off, looking very dark along it's back and sort of a patchy appearance on the body. It is swimming oddly, seems like he's having trouble staying upright and going in straight lines. It is also hovering around the surface of the water.

Here is the sick one

6f6905f0034befe0d65e8b954588ffce.jpg

And here is a healthy one

1164024fdeada8ba75f9562765fec293.jpg

I realize it's probably tough to see the difference, but the black lines in the sick fish's patterning are much darker and heavier and it looks darker over all.

Any guesses?

No, not really. The frenetic one is just zipping around the tank at full speed from corner to corner looking like it's trying to hide but not hiding when it gets to a nice quiet spot.

I've turned out the lights to try and help them keep calm and of course I've done a water change, first step as usual.

These guys seem very sensitive. What is the temperature? I find them susceptible to worms when only slightly stressed.

They absolutely need clean water and I closely watch the nitrates in the tank they are in....I like that value to be < 20

Adding some new fish recently?

Hth

John

I can't think of anything that has changed.

Weekly 30% water changes

Temperature has been steady even with the increasing outdoor temperatures

Nitrates seem alright, I didn't test them before today's water change but I've been keeping an eye on them and they've always been around 10-15

No new fish since I put the rainbows in the tank

The frenetic darting might well be a response to irritation in the gut...this fish will likely die as well. I have seen it before.

Unfortunately without the right equipment or other visual symptoms treating the whole tank is irresponsible in my opinion.

I have removed all the macollochi in the one with the sick ones, to a hospital tank and treated them only, with some success.....they survived.

Perhaps start with a wormer. With mine levamisole helped BUT will cause some or (semi) permanent sterility.

Good luck

John