Weird Test Results, Milky Water, Dead Fish. Please Help!

Abby

Hi everyone,

I'm really at a loss here....I've had my 75 gallon tank up and running for a little over a month now. It's cycled (according to the liquid tests). However, the following is taking place:

A. The water has been milky/cloudy for a few weeks

B. Test results say the following:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Ph 7.2

Temp: 81F

C. I've lost three fish in the past week.

I have an assortment of Mollies, Gourami's, Danio's and Tetra's in there plus some live plants (cabomba, crypt, rotala + java moss) I'm not over stocked (25 small fish in total) and I can't figure out why things are dying with test results that seem fine. Plus the cloudy water, I'm really at a loss here and would appreciate any help I can get! The fish have been in there for the past week (I had a dozen fish in already to get the cycle going and introduced another dozen one week ago). The milky ness has been there since the tank was set up.

I have an eheim 2236 canister filtering with those little Eheim bio balls (they look like cocoa puffs) and some filter floss. I recently put carbon in to see if it would help with the cloudiness and it's done nothing.

I think that's all the info I can give.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Could be as easy as a nearly undetectable disease...stress...high temp.

Did you add any salt to your tank? Throw in some hornwort...it'll help clear your tank up...idk why...it just does.

Edited by Wingin' It

I can only really think of bacterial bloom for cloudy water. Running colder might help. If it is a bacterial bloom, you may get green water after it clears which then will take some time to clear as well.

What is your water change schedule and how much? Maybe step it up a bit for the next few weeks.

I've been doing 25% nearly every day. I had some nitrite in the water a few days ago so I've been doing diligent changes. Three days solid now it's been 0.

I have my heater turned way down, but my abient house temp hasn't allowed the tank to cool down. Even now it's 24.5C in my house.

I really have no ideas other than I guess it's still a new setup and I've added a lot of fish quickly?

At only one month I would say your tank still might not be cycled yet. Add some beneficial bacteria to your tank from someone elses tank like old media or get something like "stability" by seachem to add to your water.

A few things come to mind so here we go.

Cloudy water is usually caused by ammonia. That is still a tank that needs to possibly get better established before a large bio load get's placed on it. What kind of filter is it?

When I turn off my filters to feed brine shrimp and when I forget about them for a 6 or so hours they cloud up . Given that it is a new tank I'd put my money on this an incomplete cycle. Or improper dosage/type etc of de-chlorination chemicals,

Get some squishings from media from someone on the forum and pour it into your tank. Let it pickle for a day then vacuum up whatever settled out. Instant cycled tank.

Keep up the waterc hanges, and eventually it will get better.

Just my 2cents, but a 0-0-0 reading likely had an error somewhere. If everything is being converted properly, then one number should be up. Either ammonia or Nitrite (if it's cycling) or Nitrate (if it's cycled). My tanks generally read 0-0-5( 5-10 for Nitrate depending on a bunch of stuff, including the alignment of Jupiter). Is the test kit brand new? Maybe take a sample to the LFS for a second reading.