Looking At Making A Planted Tank For My Room, Newbie Needs Help!

Chelsea716

I do a lot of work and this stresses me out. Seeing as I find fish keeping relaxing, I think a planted tank sounds fun! I have a 10 gallon that I will use. No nothing for the tank yet. Thinking of adding some bright cherry shrimp in as well (for colour). I like carpeting plants like cubas and fine hair. I can do trimming as needed. I want a small park with a tree look, using java moss as a "leaf" on a drift wood tree. Maybe a path of black gravel down the tank as a "road" with a carpet all around as grass. Some nice low - medium plants in the background is good. Do not want a java moss carpet though. I have a $200 budget for plants, substrate, decor and equipment. No budget on other animals. I might add two male guppies as well. No other fish. Just RCS and guppies. Equipment does not included foods and other stuff for he animals. I am looking at a 40 watt light, as the tank is 12 inches tall (I think). Black substrate for the tank is a need. My end budget (absolute max) is $350. I have the tank so that saves me a few toonies. Lots of green plants is a want as well. Can you guys help?

I have a 10 g in my home office that is similar to your description. I used Fluval shrimp stratum as substrate. Planted dwrf a hairgrass and tennelus in it and after 5 months it is completely carpeted beautifully. I have a small stick in there with Christmas moss on top to look like a tree. It houses countless cherry shrimp, 3 otos and 2 endlers.

I have 2x 14 watt CFL bulbs for light, use a fluval U2 for a filter. I dose excel about one cap every 3rd day.

Okay, no added co2 producer? I often go on vacations where I am gone for a week or two. I could set a light on a timer, but do I instruct the care taker to add a special amount of excel? Or should I get a small CO2 producer? I might have a spare bit of cash to shell out for a pressured system. I LOVE cuba as a carpet but is it good for newbies? Is there anything that looks like sheet moss that I could use?

Quick question, I have a 3 gallon tank being filtered in my house and I was wondering what is a good moss to add? Going to add a marimo moss ball for sure, but its colder water with not heater so I can't do java moss I think. I am using gravel in the tank. Moss will be attached to a piece of decor or drift wood.

I don't have pressurized CO2 on my 10g. I just do the excel. I have a Marimo ball in it and I don't have a heater, but this room is always hot and the temperature of the water is almost always 22 degrees. I don't know much about carpeting with moss, sorry.

Thanks! My water tested at about 70f right now. Using digital of course. I am going to add two marimo balls and a piece of drift wood. One will

Be attached to drift wood I possible :). I think my RCS will like it this way!

Thanks! My water tested at about 70f right now. Using digital of course. I am going to add two marimo balls and a piece of drift wood. One will

Be attached to drift wood I possible :). I think my RCS will like it this way!

It's hard to find something that RCS don't like. I have a colony in with 5 Bolivian rams and the colony is actually getting bigger.

They will love to pick food off the Marino balls.

Great, marimo balls are easy to care for in my tank so I think they will like it. I have hermit crabs that like to go in and out of the tank so I hope it works for me.