Low-Tech Fertilizer/excel Dosing

Koot

Hey all,

I'm looking to run my tank without CO2 and get low to moderate growth. It's a 29 gallon, I've got a fugeray LED lightstrip on it. I used to have success with my plants, but lately haven't been able to find a good balance. One thing that is different is that I have a lower bioload. Small school of 5 cardinal tetras, a corycat, a 6" pleco, and a couple of shrimps and snails. I'm not sure if a lower bioload would contribute to less plant growth...

Should I be dosing excel daily? Say half a capful? How about flourish ferts weekly? What are some good dosing regiments to follow to help out the plants? Which by the way are Anubias, Java Fern/Moss, Crypts, Hygro Polysperma.

I would dose excel 2 week as per bottle suggestion,and put a substrate pellet by the crypts that should be more than enough for now. The Anubias in the shadiest spot

Hth

J

Edited by geleen

Good morning!

I have a 75g planted/community tank with close to the same plants that you have. Previously I would dose Excel daily (switched to Metricide, more on this below) and actually use a little more than the bottle says to (I find it difficult & annoying to do their "one ring on the cap = X measurement") so with Excel I would tend to just throw two capfuls in. Twice a week I will also use a capful of Seachem Flourish and thus far, my plants have been doing incredibly well.

For substrate, my tank is just 3 or so inches of pool filter sand, nothing fancy and my plants are doing very well in it. I agree with geleen though, using the substrate pellets really couldn't hurt and will undoubtedly increase their growth. What are you currently using for substrate?

As mentioned above, the other thing you may want to look in to is Metricide 14. It is a chemical that isn't made for the Aquarium trade, but is essentially a more concentrated version of Excel (it's actually used as a sterilizer I believe). There is a good discussion about it here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104038

You can buy it at Vereburn (http://www.vereburn.com) for $23 for a GALLON which is obviously a lot cheaper than Excel and given its concentration, it will last you a lot longer. Just read up on it first as it is much more concentrated. I switched to Metricide simply for the price and have not looked back since. Everything from my Gourami's to my snails are doing just fine with it.

Good luck mate, hope your plants do well!

I used to have success with my plants, but lately haven't been able to find a good balance. One thing that is different is that I have a lower bioload..

How established is this tank? How long were the plants doing well for ? You mentioned two specific recent events -

1. lower bioload
  2. changed fixture

Any other significant changes ?

Hey,

Thanks for the replies - great info.

The tank is well establishsed. I've had it running for about 7 years now, with varying set ups. The loss of bioload has been gradual with the natural lifespan ending for various fish over that time span. I'm looking to boost the numbers and get a school of 8-12 cardinal or rummy nose - 2 more corycats and more shrimp (new to shrimp and they are awesome). I'm using a mix of two types of flourite. Some fine black sand, and a more coarse graval.

I'm interested in the Metricide, will have to do some reading up. Also, what do you use to dose your excel and flourish - just use the cap? or something more precise?

Edited by Koot

I would dose excel 2 week as per bottle suggestion,and put a substrate pellet by the crypts that should be more than enough for now. The Anubias in the shadiest spot

Hth

J

Hey Geleen, twice a week with excel and a root tab, hey? I think I'll start there.