Company To Move A Large Tank?

Psylant

I got F'd over really hard tonight. I had hired a piano moving company to help move a 450 gallon tank from one house to another. They show up at the house with the tank in a small, rusted, old pickup truck with a 6' box when they knew the tank was 8' long. The truck wasn't wide enough either. They aren't wearing uniforms. They don't introduce themselves or say hi. No dollies, blankets, etc. and only 3 guys. He walked off after seeing the tank cursing me out. I had told him in depth that it was going to be 1500lbs and the dimensions; I even sent pictures.

Does anyone know a reputable company that will get this done right? I'm appalled that someone could offer a service this poor.

Thanks,
Spencer

I recommend renting a u-haul... For about 40 bucks you'll get the truck you need. Recruit some friends and feed em pizza. Everything done for under a hundred smackers...

Just my opinion I suppose.

Ehhhhh. But it's 1500lbs at least. And it has to go down 11 stairs. The big bonus is that with movers you have insurance coverage. If it breaks I won't be out a couple grand. That will be my absolute last resort. Thanks for the comment.

A tank that size doesn't go down the stairs. You would be better off hiring someone like maybe aquarium illusions to disassemble it and rebuild it. Might be cheaper in the long run. Plus you won't kill anyone haha.

when i moved my tank 84x42x28 its only half inch glass so prob not as heavy 8 guys and a dolly i was able to pick it up to the dolly wheel it where i needed and then cover the stairs in blankets and slide it down the hard part was the pivot at the bottom of the stairs. crazy thing is im just renting and did all of this knowing ill have to get it out one day also used lifting straps and worked wonders had suction cups but hard to trust

when I move out I plan on crating it up with wood then it will have handles to hold on to it hook it up to the quad and winch it up the stairs it works in my mind so it has to work

A tank that size doesn't go down the stairs. You would be better off hiring someone like maybe aquarium illusions to disassemble it and rebuild it. Might be cheaper in the long run. Plus you won't kill anyone haha.

I was told it can be moved quite safely from the people who built it. It's very solid and can be slid down stairs slowly.

when i moved my tank 84x42x28 its only half inch glass so prob not as heavy 8 guys and a dolly i was able to pick it up to the dolly wheel it where i needed and then cover the stairs in blankets and slide it down the hard part was the pivot at the bottom of the stairs. crazy thing is im just renting and did all of this knowing ill have to get it out one day also used lifting straps and worked wonders had suction cups but hard to trust

when I move out I plan on crating it up with wood then it will have handles to hold on to it hook it up to the quad and winch it up the stairs it works in my mind so it has to work

I too will be moving out of this place rather soon. Mine is 3/4" glass and almost the same dimensions. 96" x 41" x 29". The logistics of the move are rather easy. It's sitting in a front garage and a truck can back right up to it. The place it is going is a straight line move, and then down stairs, and placed at the side of a large wide open room.

I'm pretty sure Big Al's delivers large tanks. You may want to get in touch with them and find out who they use. I find the folks there pretty helpful, they can probably point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

I bought a 450 gal from a guy in Calgary and used Jays Moving to ship it to Moose Jaw. There was some stairs involved at the Calgary end. All went smooth till they put it in the warehouse here in Moose jaw then the Moose Jaw crew took over. They showed up at my place without the right equipment to unload it. I got a frantic call from the wife saying they want to know if there is room in the garage for it DOH. I went home and helped them unload with some pry bars and dollys I had. When it came time to lift it and get it in the house they balked. I got some of my money back and got 10 friends to help me get it in the house.

I'm pretty sure Big Al's delivers large tanks. You may want to get in touch with them and find out who they use. I find the folks there pretty helpful, they can probably point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

This may not be a bad idea which I didn't even think about. I gave them a call and am waiting a reply back. Thanks!

I bought a 450 gal from a guy in Calgary and used Jays Moving to ship it to Moose Jaw. There was some stairs involved at the Calgary end. All went smooth till they put it in the warehouse here in Moose jaw then the Moose Jaw crew took over. They showed up at my place without the right equipment to unload it. I got a frantic call from the wife saying they want to know if there is room in the garage for it DOH. I went home and helped them unload with some pry bars and dollys I had. When it came time to lift it and get it in the house they balked. I got some of my money back and got 10 friends to help me get it in the house.

Jay's told me "We're not interested" like most of the other companies I've called. Sounds like you went through quite the ordeal. I'm glad your tank is ok at least! Thanks for the comment.

Hmmm, rally a bunch of AA members? :)

You would be amazed what I do for pizza and beer haha

I may attempt this in the future when I know a few members at least haha. I intend on being a member here for a long time now that I know it exists. I tried to do this with my friends but they scattered like rats when they heard how big it was, They helped with my 180g last time around and thought that was heavy enough lol.

Latest update:

The seller of the tank called the SAME moving company I tried to use initially, to make amends. It's "happening" at 10am tomorrow. Can you tell that I'm a little sceptical?

I tried to refuse this idea, but the seller assured me it would be okay. I'm out of options at this point. The tank is paid for (I paid the day before the movers were supposed to move it) and he won't take a refund even with a fee. I can't blame the seller, he's been great to work with and needs the tank gone. He's leaving on vacation soon and needs the space in his garage.

My options at this point are to: attempt this for less than half the price of the next lowest quote, forfeit my money to the seller, or have it moved for a lot more $$$ and then be unable to set it up. This is perhaps the most stressed out I have ever been. I almost threw up earlier lol. Wish me luck!