Btoe, Oebt & Prls

jumpsmasher

I been on a bit of hiatus when it comes to shrimp farming but mange to snap a few pics of my BTOEs, OEBTs and PRLs shrimp recently.

BTOE (Black Tiger Orange Eyes)

_0013159_zps48572445.jpg

Recent developments with Neo's such as the dream blue may have stolen the thunder from these guy but they remain one of my favourite. Under direct light their solid black bodies give off a beautiful blue hue and unlike blue tigers they breed true. Finally starting to have a good size colony of these guys, hopefully they will make through the summer as they really are quite sensitive to warm temperatures : )

_0013166_zps092ad9f1.jpg

I keep them with my Orange Pumpkin / Sakura shrimps

_0013149_zps5baa5053.jpg

Young juvie BTOE

OEBT (Blue Tiger Orange Eyes)

_0013096_zps6d5b419c.jpg

Haven't really cull these guys yet so i still have lots of "blonde" OEBTs. Also because I haven't been culling them or moved them to a larger tank (they shared a divided 33g tank with the Black Tigers) the population boom is putting alot of pressure on the females - lost quite a few of them from overly aggressive males. I added about 1/2 dozen breeding tubes to the tank recently to give the females more protection.

MananaP's PRL (Pure Red Line CRS)

Took a while but Stephan's PRL CRS finally got berried and release their first batch of shrimplets recently. ANd what a batch it was! The largest female was heavily berried and while i haven't managed to accurately count them, her litter was definitely larger than average - if was to guess at least 40 to so.

Here's her feeding with her shrimplets (~ 2 weeks old)

_0013255_zps6a3e1cda.jpg

A closer look at her - she berried once again : )

_0013261_zpsa9f0506f.jpg

One thing I noticed with these shrimplets is how consistent the pattern is on them almost all of them have hiro / no-entry pattern - Stephan really done a great job with them! Can't wait to watch these little guys and gals grow up!

That's all for now :)

Hung

Edited by jumpsmasher

Very nice.

Are you running an HMF or just foam for the divider?

Thanks! In that particular tank it is just being used as a divider. I do plan on on using some HMF's in my new setup's but just haven't gotten around to setting up the tanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice shrimps!!

I particular like your OEBTs and the juveniles :)

How many babies or juveniles on this batch do you have so far?

I would guess she released around 40+ shrimplets on her first batch; her second batch was quite a bit smaller maybe 20-25? The other two females released around the same number (20-25).

What substrate do you have in the 33g tiger tank?

I used an inert sand - one of the Caribsea Super Natural ones, Sunset Gold I believe.

Ah. Caribsea. Thats good to know. I thought it looked like play sand at first but not quite. I had play sand in some of my tanks and recently just syphoned it all out because it keeps leaching and the TDS in those tanks just kept going up.

if you want an totally inert substrate than the coated, decorative gravel is probably your safest bet. I tried a few "natural" gravel without much luck as the all affected the water chemistry. The Caribsea sands seems to be inert enuf though - i like how the powder food stay on the surface of the sand so my shimplets can pick over it at their leisure.