Fertilizer Stock Storage & Glass Cleaning...

McTurtle

Question 1:

I mixed up my dry fertilizers into 500mL tank water and stored them in jars in a cupboard. I've noticed there are some floaties in there and I'm thinking I might be better to store them in the fridge. Does anyone else mix up stock solutions? If so, how do you store them and how long are they good for?

Question 2:

What is the best way to remove algae off the glass? I hate the scraper I have. Worst design ever. The sponge pad is held on by a plastic prong through the centre and it constantly falls off. I'm thinking of investing in the magnetized scrapers but I'd like to know what others have tried/ like best.

I mix my ferts, macro and micro, in R.O. water so that there are no nasties in there and store in a dark, cool dry place. I use sterilized air tight containers. They last months and months. It is important to keep the micro in the dark or you could get some mouldy stuff growing in there.

Best way to remove algae that I've found are Otocincluses. Peaceful fish that keep things nice and clean. They are mostly inconspicuous. I never have to clean the glass now :) Otherwise, a razor blade is awesome.

Edited by cainechow

Have heard that plecos get lazy but I am sold on albino sailfins...moved mine out of high light tank and put him back in after 3 days as the algae was that bad....