50G Tank With Plants And Fish

Whopper88

I have a tank that has a lot of plants as well as fish. Recently, my air pump died and I only have a Whisper 40 Power filter running. I am wondering if this is sufficient for my tank or should I get a new air pump?

I have about 30-40 plants and about 20-30 guppies and neons.

Thanks.

I just want to make sure I understand what you're asking. You have a Whisper 40 Power filter running on your 50 gallon tank. The air pump that died was just providing bubbles?

The Whisper 40 is rated for 40 gallons, maximum...which is likely insufficient to turn over the volume of water you have.

I'd look at either replacing the whisper (but keeping the media, or running both for awhile) with something stronger, or adding a secondary filter, such as an air driven sponge filter. My 55G has an Eheim 2215 cannister and a sponger filter for filtration.

The airpump as a bubbler doesn't do much for the tank, realistically, the fall from the powerfilter provides sufficient surface disruption to oxygenate the plants/fishies.

Sorry, Just checked and it is a 45G tank. The Air pump was providing bubbles, but I was wondering if the Whisper is good enough to provide sufficient to oxygenate the tank, which is what you have already answered for me.

You comment about turning over water, what does that do for the tank?

Thanks again.

Happy to help.

In general, you want a filter that can "turn over" your tank 3-5 times per hour. Means more contact time for the filter to do its job. So for a 45 gallon, you'd want filtration that moves 135-225 GPH (gallons per hour).

A whisper 40, with no media, at ideal running conditions has a GPH of about 210, which means that with filter pads etc...it's likely running much less. This filter is the bare minimum that you can run on your tank. 20-30 fish in a 45 Gallon would likely have a decent bioload, so you'd want to accomodate for that with over filtration. Just my 2 cents. Although, frequent water changes negate everything I've said above :D

Happy to help.

In general, you want a filter that can "turn over" your tank 3-5 times per hour. Means more contact time for the filter to do its job. So for a 45 gallon, you'd want filtration that moves 135-225 GPH (gallons per hour).

A whisper 40, with no media, at ideal running conditions has a GPH of about 210, which means that with filter pads etc...it's likely running much less. This filter is the bare minimum that you can run on your tank. 20-30 fish in a 45 Gallon would likely have a decent bioload, so you'd want to accomodate for that with over filtration. Just my 2 cents. Although, frequent water changes negate everything I've said above :D

And bear in mind that this is on the low end of the spectrum! I have at least 8-10 times turn over per hour in all my tanks. Petsmart has Aquaclear 110's on sale for 71.99 right now, add one of those to what you've got right now and you'll be laughin'!

Edited by jeremoose

Depending on what your budget is, and what your plans are...I personally prefer canister filters. I have a couple fluvals and a couple eheims. They make less noise, and are less visibly obtrusive (assuming you can put them under your stand). I order 90% of my hardware from www.petsandponds.com $14.99 flat rate shipping to your door, free on orders over $200.00. I get my Prime, NLS, media, pumps, sponges...etc from these guys.

I'd keep your filter, and add a canister - personal opinion.

http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c5809/c7359/p16366949.html

Edited by flash_oesc

Depending on what your budget is, and what your plans are...I personally prefer canister filters. I have a couple fluvals and a couple eheims. They make less noise, and are less visibly obtrusive (assuming you can put them under your stand). I order 90% of my hardware from www.petsandponds.com $14.99 flat rate shipping to your door, free on orders over $200.00. I get my Prime, NLS, media, pumps, sponges...etc from these guys.

I also run canisters, hobs are just a much cheaper option is all.

Thank you guys so much for your input. I will look into both options of a Canister or add another filter. So far, i'm leaning towards getting another filter as my budget is not there right now, but the link you provided gives me a great option for the eheim at a low cost.

Thank you all again!

I also run canisters, hobs are just a much cheaper option is all.