Shrimp pellets for bottom feeders

Oneiroid

I've picked up a container of HBH Shrimp Pellets to feed some of my bottom feeders. The clown loaches do not seem to be very interested. The weather loach and cories seem very interested but I think the pellets are too hard for them to eat (the weather loach has a big enough mouth to suck up the pellet, but spits it back out again whole and the cories look like they are trying to pick at it but I don't see any of it disappearing). Are these pellets too hard or do they soften up after a while? The package says that the pellets should be eaten within 6 minutes; I only dropped in a couple to test but they are still there after 10 minutes. Perhaps because it is new and they are not sure what to do with it? Is this a bad product, and if so, what is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

I have HBH pellets and they'll soften and I'm quite sure everybody will eat them. Are you feeding at night or during the day? I only ask as most catfish, plecos, etc. are night time scavengers. I conduct two feedings a day on my tanks, one during the day and one in the evening for the denizens of the night.

I have picked some of these up for my cories and they seem indifferent to them... they'll eat it if it's there, but they don't flock to it if there is something else to chow down on. I feed NLS community pellets and they much prefer scouring the bottom of the 50 looking for errant NLS pellets than the shrimp pellets that are provided for them in close proximity to their hide-out. I may not be the best source, tho, as I also feed my community 'real' shrimp so they may just be spoiled rotten.

Now I use them to feed my snail breeding tank... they seem to really like it! There is a little snail stampede to the pellets when they hit the water. I have too much time on my hands, some nights.

JHG: I agree with your feeding regime for the bottom feeders. I had just tried dropping some in this morning though to see if their would be any response at all. There was a response (except for the clown loaches who remained huddled in the slate caves) but I was just concerned that the pellets looked too hard for them to eat. All the pellets I put in this morning disappeared closer to an hour after, so I am sure you are correct that they softened up. Thanks for the reply, I feel a lot better about the new food.

Tanker: Where is a good place to find the NLS pellets? I have been hearing exceptional reviews about that brand, but have not tried it myself. I am going to try and make a little snail stampede now!

Where is a good place to find the NLS pellets? I have been hearing exceptional reviews about that brand, but have not tried it myself. I am going to try and make a little snail stampede now!

You can order all varieties of NLS from Neil at Cichlid Food Canada (http://www.cichlid-food-canada.com/index.htm).

Or, if you don't want to pay the shipping, Big Al's in Edmonton also has them.

Steve

Neil I feed the wafers whole... I have to be sneaky... put a few in then go to other side of tank and drop wafers in the corner... othe wise the pigglets(cichlids)

gobble all the food up!!!

They love all the nls food...

I just siffoned out 12 brichardi fry last nite<took over an hour>but thats another story.. So I am going to feed nls crushed up, cylop-eeze, crushed fakes for now!

Ok, thanks for the info! If I drop them in whole, the severum that's in with the clown loaches attempts to swallow them whole. :lol: It took me a week or so to get the feedings worked out in my SA tank, and now I keep the severum busy at the surface with the 3mm pellets, then toss in the 1mm pellets for the bottom feeders. So far so good ....

Holy Hijacked thread, Batman!

I picked up a small (150g) container @ BA's as I have been curious about it after reading the reviews on here from satisfied users and it was mostly impulse... I purchased the community pellets (about 1mm) as most of my fish are tropical eaters. The pellets float breifly which is ideal for the danios and bettas, and sink after about 30 seconds which impresses the rest of my fish (middle and bottom feeders). The danios, swords and bettas all devour it, the rasboras will eat it if they have to (but honestly they prefer the HBH Betta bites as it's smaller for their tiny mouths) and I have my figure 8 puffers eating the NLS community pellets, too! Every third day is 'NLS night' for all my fish except the dwarf puffers, with either frozen or live food on the other nights, depending on the fish.

I have also picked up some of the wafers, but no one really got into them. I was previously using the Hikari wafers and my tanks seem to prefer them... I may have to go back to them, as the Hikari are twice the size, and would be gone in under an hour from the swords and plecos whereas the NLS wafers would still be there if I didn't get them out the following night. Also relavent is that I have been using the Hikari wafers for over 6 months, and only recently have tried the NLS product... so maybe they'll get into it, after a while. If not, maybe I'll split up the remains into some 'sample bags' and a few others can try them out... I'll give it another week and see.

As in all things, your mileage may vary.

Oh, and for the record: I'll be purchasing my next NLS from RD. ;)