Jack Dempsey Pairing

DevonCichlid

I just picked up 5 juvie Jack Dempseys for my empty 90g. I'm curious if I should add a few more to increase the odds of getting a pair out of them and maybe mitigate the casualties by overstocking. The tank is overfiltered and will get weekly 20% water changes so water quality shouldn't be an issue. Obviously they are too young for sexing so right now it's a roll of a dice to see how many males and females I get. The goal is to get a pair out of the ones I purchase and then trade in the others before any casualties pile up.

On a side note, the JD are about the same length as the danios I used to cycle the tank. They are much thicker but they are hanging out like buddies at feeding time right now. I just find it interesting how thngs in tanks can be like that and then in a month or so the danios would be at the bottom of the food chain.

I just picked up 5 juvie Jack Dempseys for my empty 90g. I'm curious if I should add a few more to increase the odds of getting a pair out of them and maybe mitigate the casualties by overstocking. The tank is overfiltered and will get weekly 20% water changes so water quality shouldn't be an issue. Obviously they are too young for sexing so right now it's a roll of a dice to see how many males and females I get. The goal is to get a pair out of the ones I purchase and then trade in the others before any casualties pile up.

On a side note, the JD are about the same length as the danios I used to cycle the tank. They are much thicker but they are hanging out like buddies at feeding time right now. I just find it interesting how thngs in tanks can be like that and then in a month or so the danios would be at the bottom of the food chain.

To be honest with you, you probably won't have casualties for a VERY long time from aggression. I overstocked my 140g like crazy with juvenile cichlids I like, thinking that I was going to have to thin out the herd as aggression got bad when the fish got larger... That was over a year ago now and I have several 6" plus fish (Midas, Dempseys, Fenestratus) that get alone happily so far *knock on wood*. That tank has over 15X turn-over rate for filtration.

Assuming a good water change regimen and appropriate filtration (which you have), you may be able to keep all 5 together even if you get a breeding pair, permanently. I find Dempsey's get an undeserved bad reputation.

EDIT: if they're cheap, I'd pick up one more Dempsey to ensure a pair. Typically 6 is the number of juvies people buy to mathematically guarantee the chance (like 99%+) of at least one male and one female.

Edited by jeremoose

• 3 months later...