Beginning Stages Of Fin Rot!

rangergirl77

I have a couple parrots with the beginning stages of fin rot! Should I use PrimaFix?

The tank is 150 gallons, and is still kind of in "new tank" syndrome. I have FINALLY just started getting my nitrates & nitrites to normalize….4 weeks later! So my question is, will the fin rot clear up now that my water is stabilizing???

I have also in the last couple days raised my temperature up & added salt…

I used kanaplex to clear up my last batch. Depends if it's bacterial or not if it will clear up on its own. I had some cories in rough shape, liquid fungus cure treated the fin rot, but once those meds were out, the bacteria progressed. Kanaplex saved em.

Thanks! I went from a 110 to a 150…I really didn't think it would crash because I kept my eheim dirty! I guess with all the moving the rock and adding another 20lbs of new gravel, I killed the bacteria! I also went from a sump, to no sump (I hated all the work with the sump)!!! I now run 2X Eheim 2217's on my 150 gallon… :)

Pima/melafix are just plain no good in my experience.

It could be burns as jayba suggested, but you'd likely see areas on the sides of the fish, inflamed gills on the fishes well if it was ammonia/ nitrite poisoning.

Most likely it started as a burn, and is now bacterial and or fungal. Upping the temp will just accelerate the bacteria life cycle so that the fins get eaten faster.

Salt helps, but its no cure.

Dosing the whole tank WILL kill your biological filter.

Go get a Rubbermaid of suitable size and use that as a hospital with the med that most closely meets the symptoms.

Good luck.

I used Melafix when I first received my loaches. Every loach had fin rot to one degree or another and had lots of dark patchines from being in not optimum conditions. 22 of them. I have them in a 300g tank and treated them with melafix. Within a few days you could see a noticeable difference and at the 7th day the end of the treatment huge improvement. Within 2 weeks you couldn't tell there had ever been a problem. Cost was about $16.00 per bottle and took me almost 3 large bottles. Follow the directions closely and when treatment is done do the water change as noted on the directions. I have faithfully done 30% water changes once a week since then, and they are all fin rot free. It was a new tank as well and the old filter and driftwood were used as well as new ones and it still hadn't been 100% cycled. I took the gamble and it worked for me. Remember if you go this route to remove the carbon. Good luck on whatever you decide.