Yellow Tail Acei

Kreature

I've had a few acei for a few years, but I don't know how fish die of old age?
Symptoms? This fish, when not actively swimming, is floating vertically, and looking a bit "curved", like a lazy "S".

He seems to feed normally, but is always curved now. This has just come on in the last few days. Any help?

One other cichlid, not an acei, in the tank has what could be bloat, from referring to another site, it has a bump near anus, but has had that for a month, but all others is the 55 gal tank seem fine. Could this be bloat too? shouldn't the one with the "bump" have other symptoms and have passed on by now?

Another acei, same age as this one, died a couple months ago, same symptoms, but he has been injured in an ormanment, so thought that was the cause.

I'm at a loss but hate to see the fish just going one by one if that's what's happening.

Edited by Kreature

Have you separated/quarantined the sick fish? Not sure what the problem is, but when anything seems not right with any of my fish the first priority is to quarantine and do a water change. You said you have had the acei for a few years, did you get it as a fry, juvenile, or full grown fish? They do live quite a long time. About a month ago I had 2 threadfin rainbows go into the s shape, they were removed to quarantine and died about 5 days later. I would worry that if they die in the tank and the other fish pick at it, some disease or parasite may be passed on to healthy fish. After those 2 fish were removed there were no more issues with sick fish in the tank. Remember with mbuna to provide a lot of algae plant based foods, such as spirulina flakes or pellets. Try feeding thawed peas (remove outer skin) to the fish, it sometimes works to alleviate bloat. Bloat doesn't always kill the fish, but if it does survive it can take a long time for it to look and feel normal again. I only give my Acei's frozen treats (daphnia, Mysis,etc) (only a small amount) once every 2 weeks. They are now around the 7 year old mark. Hopes this helps, and good luck!

Thanks Dan. I haven't quarantined yet. The fish that are in there have been together for at least 1 or 2 years. I've had the acei since they were young juveniles, and they're now about 3 or 4 yrs old. I'm going to do a shuffle and seperate him. The last one that died was acually eaten before I could get him out (after death) so I see what you mean about moving him. Bad thing is I'm going away for a week tomorrow, so don't know what I'll find when I get back. I feed strictly NLS, but put in zucchini once in a while for the pleco.