Obsessed Betta

EowynJane

I have a male crowntail who won't eat. He is obsessed with flaring at his reflection in the back of the tank and won't do anything else. He completely ignores the pellets I drop in for him, even if they're right in front of him. If he does take a pellet he spits it out right away. I'm going to see if he'll eat some frozen blood worms but I don't want to always feed him those. It doesn't matter if the light in his tank is on or off, if he can see himself all he'll do is flare and swim along the back of the tank. Any suggestions?

Edited by EowynJane

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My guy has always eaten fine. But he used to like to flare at his reflection in his 5.5 g on the sides. So I removed the background, Has been fine since.

He seems to love the floating log thing I bought him at bigals as well. That might calm him down. Check your water if he's spitting out the pellets he may be sick or stressed from a spike that's gone unnoticed. If it's fine and your pellets are not the smallest available try that. If not you may just have to feed him something else. A pack of hikari frozen bloods will last a life time for a betta lol :) Just use a small water testing pipette to siphon them out of a cup you sliver some into with a knife and aquarium water in it to thaw it out. He will come running right up and you can control the flow of the worms down to 1 or 2 max easy so you don't have to siphon anything he missed or turn your filter off to feed.

A note about the log I find the damn things paint or whatever is wearing away and I have to scrub it off periodically and it's not looking as good now after like 2 months. My boy Vince does love it though. Till I plant a home for him i rested it on a big silk anubias rip off fake plant on the dead side in his tank gives him a nice spot to rest with a breathing or feeding hole at the surface.. As for the flaring if he's in a 5ish size tank I'd either remove the background or background the sides as well so he can't see himself as well High decor on the sides will help as well possibly.

Edited by Percilus