Stocking A 40 Gallon Breeder - Compatibility, Rainbow Fish?

McTurtle

I bought a 40 gallon last night and it came with fish. One is a silver tipped/ Columbian shark and I think he will need to be rehomed for sure as a 40 gallon just won't be big enough for him. There is also a humbug catfish, a rainbow shark, one green tiger barb, 5 neons, a pleco that I haven't ID'd yet and 2 other fish (one is probably a barb and the other may be a danio, but I have to take pictures and figure out what they are.)

I'd like to have rainbow fish in this tank. I think maybe the neons can stay, but I'm not sure who else would be compatible. I feel bad for the lone green barb, so he either needs buddies or to find a new home. I'm not a huge fan of plecos and I'm afraid this guy is going to grow up and suck the slime coat off my fish or eat them.

Is a 40 gallon big enough for rainbow fish? It will be planted. I'd like to have a few if they're happier schooling. I'm thinking maybe 5 rainbows, the neons (I might add to the 5 I currently have to a school of 8 or 10) and the humbug catfish. The substrate is currently smooth pebbles, but I'd like to put some eco-complete in eventually.

Any ideas/ suggestions?