Greedy Killi

jewels

Okay, I will be the first to scoff. -05- Most of the fish varieties mentioned in this section are much larger than the killi fish; although in their own microcosm, no other label would apply. :flex:

I was passing by my 20G killi tank ,and I had to look twice. I spied a killi motionless down on the substrate. The closer I looked its head looked worse and worse. For some reason I have found dead fish tend to decompose from the lips and onward. His face looked fuzzy and I was slightly discouraged, as I haven't lost any adults before.

The viewing angle was disadvantageous and it took me some time to figure out what I was looking at. That gluttonous hunter had swallowed a cherry shrimp! Tail first. Lips to eyeballs. :ph43r:

That shrimp was wearing a killi costume,,,, and it didn't fit. I 'm not saying they were equal in size - I was just skeptical of the sheer ambition. I was confused at first at the sight. I soon realized it was the mess of legs,feet and whatever all those numerous other frontal appendages are named that I was seeing.

I don't know how it turned out. I peeked in a few times afterwards but did not see them again. The tank is stuff full of plants( even by my standards) and very dimly lit. It got me thinking and poking around with a flashlight. I tossed in a dozen juv. killis a few months ago into the shrimp only tank. I should have been paying closer attention. :chair: the tiny killis that wouldn't seem to grow are now huge! And the hundreds of shrimp seem to be few and far between. Those stinkers cleaned me out.

More of story time then a specific question,, so I'll query 'ya this.

I am quite certain the shrimp perished. It was to in to become out.

Does the fish survive this? :well:

Near infinite generations have gotten them along this far. The digestion process alone baffles me. Can a fish choke/suffocate ?

I had Killi's awhile back and they started cleaning out my guppies(almost full size) i was transfering the guppies from baby tank to the main tank as i thought they were big enough,ya to be eaten by killi's.

i have other fish die from trying to consume another. always fatal.