Suicidal Gouramis?

Eman08

Ok i have a weird situation.

In my community tank i have a piece of drift wood that has some holes in it.

a few weeks ago my dwarf gourami managed to get stuck and die in the hole... he was really wedged in there when it tried to remove him.

this morning before leaving for work i noticed my last gouarmi was also stuck in the same hole.... I tried giving him a gentle push back out the way he came but was really wedged in there again... since i didn't have time to deal with it before work I'm hoping he can make it through the day and maybe get him out when I get home, but I do not feel very confident I will be able to get him out with out seriously damaging him if he is stuck the way his brother was..

Any thoughts or suggestions??

It might just be looking for a place to rest on/in. Like Betta fish do, You could try filling in the hole, or making it big enough that they cannot get stuck inside it. You can pick up types of aquarium decorations that could do the same thing, such as a Betta Hammock, or the like, and see if the Gourami prefers it over the driftwood.

Ya I had thought of trying to put a plant or something in the hole to stop it from happening again, but my bigger concern is trying to get him unstuck with out damaging him... any tips for that?

I'm amazed a dwarf gourami would be depressed, if any labyrinth fish would be down, it would be the "blue" gourami....