Ordering Fish From Thailand

I know with bettas (Thai bettas are often the best, if you know what you're buying and who you're buying from) they have to go through our transhipper in Toronto- he charges a transhipping fee of ten bucks per fish (he can be fairly ridiculous since he has the monopoly in Canada, transhipping in America is usually like 2-4 bucks a fish), and then ships them out to you. You don't need any permit, the transhipper has the permit to bring them into the country.

The best fish I've owned, which were also a lot of my starting stock, were from Thai and if I remember correctly Malaysian betta farms. I did not deal with the transhipper directly, there were a few of us who got fish from the same order.

What kind of fish are you looking at?

Edited by MattsBettas

I want more longfin pink danios, and magenta mystery snails. I can get the danios if I make a trip up to Edmonton as aquarium central has them. But its hard to find someone who will ship the snails from the US, and I couldn't find any in Canada.

It probably wouldn't be worth it it seems just for those two things, but I just thought I would check!

Thanks for the info!

Yea, by the time it gets through the process it isn't cheap...

By the way, I have a couple light food pink shell (if that's what you're after) mysteries that should be nearing breeding size, if by some chance they breed I'll let you know... They do exist in Canada... Big Als up here had a tank full of most of the colors a few months back.

The process might work differently for other fish, by the way... I'm only familiar with the process surrounding bettas.