Power Outages

jumpsmasher

well like most ppl in Calgary's Downtown West community I came home late Saturday to find my neighbourhood in the dark power wise. My shrimp tanks have been fine for the most part as I have Oxydators in most of the tanks (http://www.oxydator.de/english/soechting_oxydators.html).

The only tank that seems to have any issues is my tiger shrimp tank - they have a could of mini oxydators in them (but still might be undersized) and a smaller surface area (standard 33G) per volume compared to the other tanks (mostly 10G, 20G, 20G Long). I also did a water change just on sunday which in hindsight mist have not been a good idea if the existing water was already oxygen rich. Most of the Tiger shrimps where climbing up on the Poret foam divider and some of them were even out of the water! I will be installing an 1500VA UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) tonight after work to power the air pump to see if that helps - based on my calculations it should last around 40 hours or so of continuous use.

So far i been pretty happy with the oxydators - this is the first real extended test for them but I will definitely be upgrading tot he large size ones in some of my bigger tanks when my new order comes in next week. One of the PRL cull tanks has around 300+ shrimps and so far they seems to be fine.

Do any of you guys have a contingency plan for power outages?

Ya i am glad I had them but the bigger sizes would help in the bigger tanks.

The UPS idea was suggested to me by a colleague this morning so I think I will be sizing one for fishroom after I get thru this. A large fishroom style airpump ( ~ 30w) might not last very long on a UPS so it might be a good idea to have a series of smaller ones around to use when this happens.

Going to be a pain to carry the UPS up 16 flights of stairs though... So best to plan ahead and do it when the elevators are working.

Edited by jumpsmasher