Berried Crayfish.... Tips, Anyone?

Charis

My Australian Blue "Lobster" has been berried for almost two weeks now and has been hiding out in her Cichlid cave. She's in a shared, but divided, 20 Gallon with the male she bred to. My intention is to fill my 75Gallon half full and place her in there shortly so that once the eggs hatch, the baby crayfish will have lots of room to get away from her and each other. Once I see the free moving baby crays, I'll move her back to the 20G.

Do you think a change of tank/water will give her any trouble carrying the eggs to term if she is slowly acclimatized? Would it be better to remove the male from her tank, and once the babies are born try to catch them all and move them to the 75?! Sounds like a lot more work!

I've cut up lots of small PVC pipes for hides.... Does anyone have any experience with crayfish babies and care to give me some general tips? These will be my first baby crays....

I used to breed electric blue crayfish. Give her space and don't disturb too much. Move the male as it is easier. Once you get the 75 gallon ready...you can transfer her and the lil ones. I did not have any problem with change in water. I had a lot of plastic floating "plants" and lots of cave (old film canisters) You will need lots of hiding place so they do not cannibalize on each other. I bred them in those gift wrapper Rubbermaid under my couch! changed water often and fed lots (hence the water changes).

Good luck!

Js

Edited by fatpuffer

Thanks fat puffer!

How long did you found they took from hatching to a re-homeable size? With lots of hides, what percentage of the babies survived? Any particular food that you found worked well? Did you start feeding as soon as they were hatched and moving?

It took about 2-3 months to get them to one inch...which is when I started selling them as they were starting eat each other. I say at least 75 percent survived as I got rid of the big ones as they hit one inch. I fed them NLS simple and less waste. They fed immediately after dropping from the mom. Took mom out asap as well.