Ich Attach

Jazzgrrl

Ich is a vicious disease that needs to be treated asap. Your petshop shouldn't be selling any new arrivals until they're quarantined but unfortunately too few do this process correctly. As your own line of defense / prevention I would highly recommend having a 5-10 gal quarantine tank for all new purchased fish so you don't have to medicate your entire display tank in the case of an outbreak.

As far as treatment goes, i've had slow results with salt and heat. I had to treat a planted tank with fish, snails, shrimp and all and i believe the product i used was the API super ich cure. Comes as yellow powder split into a grid of packets and its very easy to use. I combined this medication with a relatively low dose of salt and increased the temperature.

Beware, some medications are a lot harsher than others (avoid the stuff that dyes your water blue).

Ich can easily be treated with heat alone. Temperatures of 86f or higher will leave the ich parasite incapable of reproduction, maintain those temps for a period of 7-10 days and it is more then enough to completely eliminate them.

The key to success here is the tank cannot fall below 86 at any time and there can't be any colder spots . If their is a place or period if time at 85f or lower the ich will just come back even worse! Use an internal thermometer, make sure to have good flow to evenly distribute heat and monitor both day and night temps to make sure it's all stable above 86.

In the initial days of heat treatment expect to see an increase in the white spots on the fish , initially the heat speeds up the ichs life cycle so infestations spike , quickly after those cysts will drop off and it's in this stage that heat stops them from reproducing effectively ending the infestation.

Also as a warning with high temps oxygen levels drop. I highly recommend adding an air pump if u don't have one , bottom dwellers will be effected first so keep an eye in them for any signs of oxygen depletion.

Hope that helps