Stainless Steel Filter Guard/intake?

Lisbeth

Does anyone have any experience with stainless steel filter guards? I'm currently using a sponge filter, but it takes up a lot of space and also gets grunge-y quite quickly while in my planted tank. I'd like to replace it with something smaller, but also still safe for shrimp fry.

I've seen a couple people in the US using stainless steel guards that seem to be made out of really small mesh that then just slides over the intake pipe. They look really nice and easy to maintain. Has anyone used something similar, or know if something similar is sold locally (or even in Canada)? Thanks!

I bought a couple from a forum member on the planted tank. Then I found a youtube video about how to make them yourself, so I made a couple. With the right tools and some time spent on ebay you can find everything you need and then have fun with a heat gun!!

I got tired of looking on the internet for a Canadian company, I'm sure there is one out there. I ordered from the meshcompany, which is where the youtube clip got his from. I got the heat shrink tubing from ebay as well. The problem with the really big stuff is that it's kinda thick and that was probably the hardest part of making the filter guard.