Lid For 5.5 Gal Planted?

hkbialik

I need a lid/lighting solution for a planted 5.5 gal aquarium. Preferably something fast, so my plants don't die off in the meantime.

I have a 5.5 gallon that's planted, and up until now I've been using a hood with a regular screw-in light fixture. I had a bulb for plants in there, until this morning when I turned the light on, it sizzled, sparked, and the light went kaput. I look under there, and the whole area was wet. I'm guessing this is because I switched from a Whisper internal filter to a sponge filter, and it sends up a lot of little water droplets. I switched filters because I divided the tank into three sections and the other filter didn't fit properly anymore.

So... I could get a new bulb and switch back to the old filter, but I'd rather not. It might get wet again for some other reason. Obviously, it's poorly-designed (I paid $10 for this whole setup, so I guess my expectations weren't high). What is a better lighting/lid solution for a tank like this? Could I just get a sheet of acrylic and place it under the light? Where would I get that?

Why shouldn't a planted tank have a lid? I'm a bit paranoid about jumpers and I also have three cats. I had also considered simply getting a desk lamp with a daylight bulb, but then I'd want glass or maybe a screen?

The hood looks like this:

41Mo3y19NkL.jpg

This is my tank:

11083828_10155420964175201_4849944215763

If your worried about jumping fish then close it. In regards to planted tanks there is better airflow, less build up of heat, having aquatic plants flower when the hit the surface etc etc.

If the hood light is incandescent then rip out that junk and throw in a mini florescent. I've done conversions like this and they work perfectly.

It came with an incandescent bulb and I replaced it with a daylight florescent bulb, which, as I said, exploded and died. Now I figure if I replace it, it will just happen again. Unless I switch back to my other filter. The plants had been growing extremely well with new growth visible one day to the next, so maybe I should just go back to the other filter.

I think I'm going to need a splash guard regardless. I bought this used and didn't realize that when they're new, they come with a splash guard. Even if I switch back to the old filter. I guess I just need a sheet of plexiglass or something.

I also think I'm going to try the naturally planted tank/Walstad method. I may not need a filter at all, in the end, especially with bettas who aren't bothered by low oxygen. I've read mixed information on using no filter, but we'll see what happens.