fluval surface skimmer ?

captinstabbin

Just bought a surface skimmer for my fluval 404 & was wondering if anyone can give some feedback on this thing. The concept of it is pretty simple, but what I want to know is:seeing that the intake doesn't have as many slots in it, does it decrease the overall performance of the fluval? Does the surface (upper) portion of this unit make up the overall suction? :eh:

I just hooked one of these up a couple weeks ago... and what a difference. For adjustment (since the package says.. um.. nothing, really) I screwed the adjuster until the water was about 1/2 way down the clear part of the tube. My water level at full floats the clear part at about 2 inches high out of the tube.

Basically, screw the adjuster until you hear the 'gurgling' sound, and then back it off, slightly. This stops air from entering the system, but keeps the water flowing mostly through the top, maximizing the 'skimmer' function.

Beware how your water heads back into the tank, I have a spray bar running at the opposite side of the tank, for a really nice current effect, but any food dropped in the tank heads immediately for the skimmer... and right into the filter... oops. I have to turn the spray bar down (thankfully Rena includes this valve, worth the price of admission right there) for the feeding and so far, so good.

Just my two cents... overall I am quite happy with it.