Lighting For A Planted Aquarium

t3ch

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of setting up a new tank for my angelfish. It's a 55 gallons 48 inches long and the current T8 are both burned out so I need to replace them and now I have a dilema. The T8 bulbs it is currently using are 42 inches long which seem to be rather an non-standard size even though I was able to find some. I am also considering LED lights. I'm not sure which direction to go. 1 feature that I would like to have is the night light. I would like to keep it under 100$ and I intend to make this aquarium my first planted tank so i'd rather start with lighting oriented in that direction.

Any thoughts?

Indeed they don't have 42 inches only "glo" makes 42 inches T8. Should I spend close to 80$ to buy 2 life-glo 40 watts T8 or one of these?

http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/lights/aqueon-optibright-led-light-zid36-27507/cat-36-catid-300073

http://www.amazon.ca/Fixture-Modular-Aquarium-Lighting-AQ15611/dp/B00N59Z1RU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436210762&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Aqueon+Fixture+Optibright

Also does any of you have expection with those LED, i'm still trying to figure out which one of those 2 would be better.

Oh ok thanks,

I finally just purchased an aqueon optibright (from the first link). It's very bright and I like the night mode, power consumption is around 20 watts which is quite good for the light it produces. I will setup my tank and report back on here how it does with plants.