My Cichlid's had babies!!!

Golfnut

I separated the mom, not because of babies, but she was getting beat up all the time by others. Her throat was really swollen, I thought this fish had some defects of some sort.

Yesterday I was moving some Rainbows that were getting beat up by her and I noticed her throat was normal again, and there were little baby fish swimming around! COOL!!!!

I never thought it was possble for cichlids so small to have babies. Mine are not even sub-adults I don't think... but who knows, maybe they are just a smaller species...

I don't know what kind they are. The are blue and have markings just like electric yellows. Some have banding including the mom.

Yeah!

Edited by Golfnut

Congrats on the babies :) Mbuna can breed at very small sizes. I had some rusties start breeding at 1" and a yellow lab that started at 1 1/2".

Does youe blue fish look like this http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=919

Do you have a group of these or did this female breed with something else?

Hi,

Yes pretty close, the the top is more white.

I'll try to take a picture.

There are 3 males, 2 have banding (don't know if they are the same species or not). The mom has banding and is a darker grey (as opposed to blue).

So I don't know if they are pure or not...I'll try to post pics and you guys can help me ID them...

THANKS!

Andrew