Sick Discus

scottsheehan27

So a bit of backstory. I bought six discus fish around 4 inchs each in size for my 75 gallon planted tank. Tank is well established with zero problems thus far. When i got home from Calgary to Lethbridge all fish were fine but one. My super red melon was laying on his side in the bag. After acclimation he laid on my repens for the first day eyes buldgy and fins were torn ( not sure why fins were torn .) A day later he was up and about and ate with the other fish as normal. A day later he would no longer eat but appears healthy.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10 - 15

Kh - typical southern alberta tap.

temp - 84 ish

If anyone knows something i may check or try. Breathing seems labored i have good surface agitation and a airstone.

I dose excel and flourish aswell as iron. All to the bottle specs.

I know nothing about discus specifically, but if all fish are in same tank, same environment, and one is not happy I would go into triage mode, QT and focus on the single guy presenting illness. Obviously something is wrong with 1, and potentially with all 6. I would probably start with Metronidazole because it is readily available, and selects for internal anaerobic bacteria and some protozoans. I think it gives you a higher probability of success since it selects multiple types of internal pathogens and we are shooting in the dark most of the time with this stuff. If fish does not respond and is still alive, I would dose Flubendazole (if you can get it) next and try and select nematodes.

Just my 2 cents but good luck, and please keep us updated, hopefully one of the Oracles will chime in as well.