Any help is appreciated!

electronic_brick

I also looked for the cheapest method for adding nutrients to my aquarium.

Mixing the nutrients is pretty easy, and I had no problems with it.

You can use a very easy calculator found here:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_dosage_calc.htm

I was a little scared when I started to dose my aquarium, hoping not to destroy it all! :( But it’s really pretty easy! :D

Hope that this helps a little.

Riel

Actually.. I would like to do it the most economical way going. Probably making my own. Unless you would advise against it Milan??

Hello Natalia,

It is the most economical way, and I'm a proponent myself, but had to ask first since some people don't like messing up with chemicals.

I would suggest you reading the article "Plants101" which Garhan pinned in the Important Topics section. It covers basics, and I believe you will find it interesting.

Then, you will have to decide among some fertilization programs. Nowadays, mostly in use among aquarists are PPS (Perpetual Preservation System), and EI (Estimative Index). Both work well, but have some differences in approaches.

This is just a brief overview, but there is a lot more to it.

• PPS: Dosing based on periodically measured residual levels of NO3 and PO4. Water changes on per need basis.
  • EI: Dosing based on predetermined fert quantities. No need for testing, but suggested weekly massive (50%) water changes.

You will have to decide which one is more appealing to you. I can provide you with more material to read on this if you wish.

Your CO2 level (21 ppm) seems to be OK, but I would advice you to ensure it stays such, if not possible to bump it up to 30 ppm.

As far as chemicals go, you will need KNO3, KH2PO4, possibly K2SO4, and Traces mix. With your GH, you do not need MgSO4.7H2O. There is a store on Edmonton Tr. & 32 Ave NE called "Bumper Crop", where you can find all this stuff, or elsewhere like Aquanerd suggested.

Hope this helps

Edited by Milan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Milan.. sorry haven't been online for a while.. hard drive crashed. ARGH.. Anyways, the plants finally seem to be producing new shoots. I seem to have a problem with algae forming on the leaves, heater, and pretty much anything stationary. I have a pleco in the tank, but this algae seems to be too much for him. Could there be anything i'm lacking in the tank causing the algae to grow this much?

thanks in advance for the help. nat.