newaquariumguy

newaquariumguy

Hi everybody.  My name is Glen.   I live in southern Alberta;  in Bow Island.  It is so flat here, that on a clear day, you can look into the horizon and see the back of your own head.  I have always wanted a fish tank and as of last December I finally did it--in fact I got 2.  A 55 gallon and a 60 gallon.  I did not know anything about keeping fish--and like the guy in the store told me, I took equipment --and fish-- home with me.  I have learned tons on other forums and recently this one too.  Who would have guessed that an aquarium is its own little environment and needs special care?  Anyway, although not on purpose, I managed to cycle 2 tanks at the same time--and not lose any fish.  There were some sleepless nights though, with water testing and emergency w/c.  Recently I decided I did not like the look of plastic or silk plants and resin stuff so I am going live plants and some slate objects that I made.  I hope not to be a pain to anybody on here by asking questions that should have an obvious answer.  I have not yet experienced any disease problems--so all that will be new to me when it happens.  I am glad that there are people in the "neighbor hood" that are willing to give me advice.  Thanks in advance.

Welcome to AA and a big green thumbs up to your move into aquarium plants. They really make it closer to "its own little environment" you were talking about. I'm into low-tech planted tanks myself but there are reasons to like hi-tech or both. Just don't let anyone tell you that hi-tech is the only/best way to keep plants.

• 2 weeks later...