New to pond fish keeping...

Irv

We've created a 18' diameter pond with waterfall.  The sound is amazing, the 15 goldies and 2 young koi provide a nice splash of colour and the neighborhood kids love coming over to watch them swim around (unfortunately, the fish are still rather shy but...).

Hoping to get some good advice from the forums on this site.  With winter approaching, I'll be combing over the submissions in a hurry.

• 1 month later...

Sorry nobody replied yet! What did you decide for your fish?
I set up my first pond this year and decided to bring them inside for the winter in a tank. 

My koi were shy as well, I fed slowly not to make shadows or move quickly to startle them. Slow sinking food like New Life Spectrum (what I used indoors) and they would start eating the sinking one first. Now they eat off the surface and I can flail around more like a child would without them headed to the bottom to hide :)

Hi japanda,

'Nice of you to respond!

I ended up bringing the group indoors to a 70 gal tank and it's interesting to watch their behaviour. 7 babies came in with the goldies and koi; after a few weeks, 6 babies disappeared overnight, then the last one was gone during a workday. Those little ones were of considerable size so it had to be an act on koinabbalism (couldn't help myself, sorry:0).

Anyway, it's going well and I think this will become my new winter hobby.

1 hour ago, japanda said:

Sorry nobody replied yet! What did you decide for your fish?
I set up my first pond this year and decided to bring them inside for the winter in a tank. 

My koi were shy as well, I fed slowly not to make shadows or move quickly to startle them. Slow sinking food like New Life Spectrum (what I used indoors) and they would start eating the sinking one first. Now they eat off the surface and I can flail around more like a child would without them headed to the bottom to hide :)