FOWLR Lighting

Molino

I thought I'd start a new thread for this question as it is not on the stocking side of things. If I do set up my 55 gallon as a SW tank I would go with a FOWLR. On ReefCentrals intro article it says:

If you use "Live Rock" (FOWLR) in your tank, then you should not have less than 2.5-3.0 W/gal (more is better)

Does liverock need a high amount of lighting to do well, or is it just certain organisms in the rock that require the lighting? Would most organisms in the live rock still do well under low lighting conditions and still act as a good means of bio filtration? My tank came with two standard 18" bulbs (15 watts each).

I can upgrade the lighting if I want, but that's a big cost. If I do upgrade the lighting I would probably order something from the US and have my folks bring it back duty free when they drive back sometime next year. I've noticed, sadly, that a lot of aquarium accesories are MUCH cheaper in the US.

Thanks

I've had my tank for more than five years and have always had what would be considered "substandard" lighting for a SW tank. The most I ever had was a double NO fluorescent fixture plus a couple small power compacts, total about 150 watts over a 55gal. Currently I'm not even using the PC's. Granted they all grow slowly (except the GSP's!) but I have a variety of soft corals and zoanthids. I would assume the recommended level of light would be to keep these and other photosynthetic hitch-hikers on your rock alive. I don't think you need it for the beneficial bacteria to live and perform their cleaning functions.

Honestly, with your fish list, I would skip the FOWLR idea and toss a few frags, crabs and snails in there as well. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with the colourful stuff you can grow and will soon be trading frags with the rest of us. I hesitate to call my tank a reef because it pales in comparison to the astounding tanks I see at reefer's homes, but I do have a bunch of corals I never would have thought possible a few years ago.

I'll be setting my first MH up pretty soon, I'll let you know how that changes things.

There is no MINIMUM light requirement for a FOWLR - you could have a quite stable system with the factory 2x15w lighting. Live rock does not require light. Don't know who told you that, but 2.5-3wpg is closer to reef lighting.

You'll notice you LPS/LFS generally dont light their tanks of live rock, if you go look on RC you'll see tanks as large as 90g with less than 50w on them.

Live rock is afterall just porous rock, it contains your beneficial bacteria... Basically the same stuff you've got in your FW tanks biofilter - we dont light those filters now do we?

Andy

The amount of light neccessary for a FOWLR tank is directly connected to what you want to see in your tank. If the room ambiant lighting is bright enough to see in the tank than you need none. If you actually want to see the fish then you will need some.

How much?

Depends on how bright you want the tank. I have a 55 gal predator tank with only 15w NO flouresant tube on it. Fish very active and healthy, even has some macroalgea growth. Also have a 7gal seahorse tank with over 25w of PC lights on it, and no macroalgea to support just the seahorses. Both tanks were build to suit a certain purpose and perform their function well.

Again how much lightning?

The only answer to that question is your personal preference. And a little on what you intend on keeping as livestock.

HTH

"sigh", guess I'll stop trying to have fun online...

Hey Capt

No problem having fun B) ,

really sarcasm is only one of the services I offer.

Just didn't want to confuse an aleady confusing ubject like lighting, the comment was a little misleading and didn't apply to the question at hand. Hell, I'm still learning myself.

The canister you are thinking about belonged to FISH on CANREEF, see the videos in his signature, way cool, exspecially "IKE".