2 Questions

johnsmith

1. If I put a pair of brevis in a 40g (4' long) w. an AC 500 for filtration, how often should I do water changes and how much water should I change at a time?

2. I have a 90g w. a canopy that I'll be setting up after Christmas. The problem is that the opening at the back of the canopy is in the middle. I was planning on using two AC 500s. Usually I'd put these at both ends but with this tank I'll have to put both in the middle.

I'd rather not cut the back to accomodate two filters on the ends and I'd prefer to stick with the AC's b/c a canister is twice as expensive.

Any thoughts?

1. If I put a pair of brevis in a 40g (4' long) w. an AC 500 for filtration, how often should I do water changes and how much water should I change at a time?

This is what i have been doing for water changes...

I usually do a water change on my tank when the nitrates get too high or about once every 2-3 weeks. I have to change the water more in my 60 gallon tank as the tank is crowded a bit more. If you tank will be under stocked rather than over stocked... you may even get away with doing evap water changes but i would test your water if you are going to wait that long.

2. I have a 90g w. a canopy that I'll be setting up after Christmas. The problem is that the opening at the back of the canopy is in the middle. I was planning on using two AC 500s. Usually I'd put these at both ends but with this tank I'll have to put both in the middle.

have a look at my 90 gallon tank (the link is in my sig), and you'll see that i had to do the same thing for my 90 gallon tank. it looks ugly but as long as you are not trying to win any contests or impress anyone with the tank (leave it to your stock to impress people).

I have 2 AC 500's on my 90 and 60.

In the future i plan on making a DIY backround that will hide the the filter intakes and heaters... but this is down the road.

good luck!

nev

it looks ugly but as long as you are not trying to win any contests or impress anyone with the tank (leave it to your stock to impress people).

Actually, it's going to be in our living room so my wife has to be impressed - and the stock isn't going to do that :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to cover the intakes in black silicone so they blend in with the background. I was more worried about the water circulation but seeing your tank I can see that it shouldn't be a problem.

Mine will probably have to be even closer together than yours though.

Actually, it's going to be in our living room so my wife has to be impressed - and the stock isn't going to do that
:lol:

ahh... married life... i'm new at that game and i already understand. :wacko:

What i was thinking about for the intakes on my tank was to silicone some rocks to the outerpart and then getting a backround to match.

It may look good on your tank if you can find some black rocks to match the black background.

what kind of heater are you getting?

I Plan on getting a couple more ebo's as i'm using hagen's HOB version right now. so far so good, but again an eyesore!

good luck and keep us posted!

nev

what kind of heater are you getting?

I'll definitely be getting Visitherm Stealth. So far I've only seen them at PetSmart and they're not too expensive. I've used a Visitherm in the past and was happy with it.

Hopefully Gold's will carry them in the New Year, then the price will be even better.

• 1 month later...

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:

I think they should move all of those neat fish store out of the suburbs (Edm & Cal)and into Red Deer where they belong! -roll-

Edited by vic