Sub pumps

Raven

basically think of them as silencers - straight plumbing will result in a wonderfully loud water crashing / gurgle / toilet flushing sound.

You still need a way to get the water out of the tank and on its way towards the sump - these just cap however you choose to do that...

Andy

I'll be building my sump in about 4 weeks, as soon as my 180 gallon tank from Gold's arrives. I got a oveflow built in with a return hole drilled in the left back corner, and purchased a Mag Drive 1800 for my pump.

I'm still a little foggy on how to create it so if something happens your water doesn't keep filling up your sump, but I'm reading up on it.

Once I have my tank, I will take photos and write up a step by step process on how I did it.

-Hideo

Well, with a straight over the back run - normally you'd just drill a couple holes just below the water line so that in case of power outage, you'd get some syphon - but the air would soon follow to cut the syphon effect.

With a drilled return - I'd say you better look at a 1-way valve to ensure the tank doesn't back flow. Or find some other way to draw air in to break the syphon.

Andy

• 3 months later...

ok got a tank for the sump, looks like one of those tank petsmart uses, its 20g or so. its drilled in the back and ive the peices that attach to it.... i thought of using pvc types but i dont know how thats going to work. then i thought of plastic flexible tubing, but i dont know how its going workeither. ive run into a road block again.

Edited by Raven