how many jags...

johnsmith

Hmmm....I am tempted to try a Jag in my big tank. The big guy will probably eat my JD's...they are only half the size. How tempermental is he?

Maybe I might hunt down a juvie, but since we're talking about jags, tell me about the big one.

Yes i do still have some Juvies for sale still, both regular and Gold morph.

If you search the buy/sell livestock you should find pictures.

Yes, I checked the archives b/f I brought this up actually - I was hoping you'd have some left B) . I thought they might be in a store by now though.

Could you elaborate on jags for those of us with little/no experience with them?

E.g.

- how fast do they grow?

- at what size do they stop tolerating others?

- at what size do they pair off?

- is it only as a full grown pair that the male will harm the female or does that happen at a smaller size?

- are heaters and powerheads safe for long?

- how do you gravel vac with a large fish that wants to take your hand off?

I realize all fish are different so generalizations are fine.

Basically, I wondering what to expect if I put 6 (~3") in a 90g.

The other option I'm seriously considering is just waiting for a mature pair of CA's or SA's to show up somewhere.

I was originally going to keep some peaceful fish in my 90g with plants but the cost of lights, schools, CO2 is just too much I think.

Edited by johnsmith

they will, just like ill tollerate a turkey sandwitch

Could you elaborate on jags for those of us with little/no experience with them?

E.g.

- how fast do they grow?

- is it only as a full grown pair that the male will harm the female or does that happen at a smaller size?

I realize all fish are different so generalizations are fine.

The other option I'm seriously considering is just waiting for a mature pair of CA's or SA's to show up somewhere.

I was originally going to keep some peaceful fish in my 90g with plants but the cost of lights, schools, CO2 is just too much I think.

- how fast do they grow?

They are now in the 3-4" range but are about 2-2.5" thick now at 7-8 months old.

They haven't started an all out war yet, but about every 3 days i will find one of the smaller fish has been eaten.

I expect them to start pairing off in the next few months.

I have found that the female I have gives as good as she gets, but when he gets to aggressive she has a hiddy hole that he can't get into. to hide in.

I bought a guard for the heater, he will sometimes pull it off the glass but hasn't damaged it yet. and i don't use a powerhead in that tank.

first i don't recomend Gravel with Jags, when we bought the pair they were in a 28gal tank with gravel and he would shift all of it to one side of the tank, very forcefully i might add, i was worried he would break the glass.

They now reside in a 40 gal wide tank(20 ½” H x 36” L x 18” D). About 2" of sand a few large pieces of slate and a 10" flower pot on its side. A fluval 404 for the filter and a 12 " air stone, They like to play in the bubbles. As far as cleaning mostly they stay away but i use a long handled glass brush.

I think 6 is a good number for at least 6 months or so in that size tank.

As far as price, why don't you come and see them and we can discus what you think they are worth, i think you will find that we can come to some kind of aggreement. :thumbs:

As far as price, why don't you come and see them and we can discus what you think they are worth, i think you will find that we can come to some kind of aggreement. :thumbs:

Thanks Sauron2, it'll be a couple of weeks b/f this tank is set up but I'll definitely keeps the jags in mind and I might give you a call to stop by some time and check them out.

I'm just trying to decide b/w keeping the fish I have and adding some juvie gt's since they're slow growers and keeping a lightly planted tank or trying to get rid of what I have, including plants and dedicating the tank to some jags and limestone. BTW - right now I have 4 nics (~3") & 8 diamond tetras.

Every time I see jags - videos on c-f or at Tanks Alot - I think I definitely want one, then I look at my tank and think, do I really want to get rid of the plants and have an all-rock tank again?

Those of you with multiple tanks don't know how difficult it is to be limited to one :(

Thanks for all the info :D