Tank building

AndyL

Hey folks,

I'm probably going to order some starphire this week for my next tank (reward for quitting smoking). Got a couple questions, since I want this tank to look good - completely opposite of what I've built so far :)

First off, for an 8x8x10" tank (2.77g), what size glass can I get away with? Most of my charts don't bother dealing with tanks under 2'. I was thinking 3mm - but I'm second guessing myself - 4mm might be more appropriate due to the extra height of the tanks. I also want rimless / braceless - so should I step up to 5mm?

I'd rather avoid trial and error with this tank - its getting built out of starphire, which isn't cheap.

Second question, should I design in room for silicone space? I'll have 2 sides ordered at 203mm, should the other side be ordered at 197 (assuming 3mm thickness) or should I order 196 to allow some space for silicone?

Tnx,

Andy

Andy - go with 4mil. to 5 mil. glass. Common size, also know as window sheet glass.

The end and bottom glass have to be smaller by the thickness of the glass surrounding them.

starphire - trade name for the new glass being manufactured. low lead content.

MPE - use the common 4.5 / 5 mil. thickness.

Glass is cheap. It is the labour that cost the money.

BTW - the cost of glass has increased. Energy cost's.

ex: 3/8" and the 1/2" thick glass. The cost of a tank >> 25% more. $$.$$

Order your's today. tomorrow you may not be able to afford it!!/.